1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newb bass suggestions < $400?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joe_g, Feb 21, 2008.

1. joe_g

joe_g

Feb 19, 2008
    Hi,

Long story short, I used to dabble in the bass as a teen, but dropped it after a few years. My wife used to dabble in drums as a teen (wanted to be Gina Schock of the Go Gos), and I bought her a drum kit for Christmas. Well, she's really taken off in her lessons and is having a blast, and I wanna jam with her.

So I need a bass. I started with a tank of a Hondo II (weighed a ton, but not a bad P-bass copy), then switched to a Univox "Beatle bass" that I loved for the visual style and skinny neck (I've got stubby finger syndrome). I traded that for a Univox E-35 copy that played OK but had an absolutely beautiful candy red burst, then got out of the game.

I'm seriously considering the Dano '63 bass (had a first-run reissue 59 guitar in black that I loved), but I can't find any info on the neck width. I don't know what amp they're pumping it through in the sound samples on the Dano site, but me likee. I could go with a Hofner Icon, but I'm concerned that it won't be as versatile if I want to try different techniques and sounds.

Does anyone know what the nut or neck width is on the Dano '63, either long or short scale? Are there other basses with skinnier necks I might consider in this price range?

I'd like to keep my instrument cost under $400, so I'll have cash for a decent practice amp.

Thanks!

2. joe_g

joe_g

Feb 19, 2008
    No one?

3. Grab yourself a Vintage Modified Squier P or J, and mod it a bit with the money left over...(new pickups), most of them are excellent players, and they look nice too.

btw ...the Jazz Basses have nice thin necks.

4. ibanezshredder

ibanezshredder

Dec 19, 2007
    something for 400 that sounds nice and has a slim neck.. turn to ibanez try the sr300 and sr 400qm

5. I don't know for sure, but my recollection is that the original Dano had a real base-ball bat feel to it. I believe the reissues are trying to cop the old image so I don't think they would be what you want. I'd check out Jazz basses as they have a skinny neck that tapers dramatically.
    The squier series are well under your budget, and the mexican standards would be at the upper end of your budget. Also, many modern Ibanez basses have very skinny necks and would fall in you budget. Good luck, and welcome back to Bassdom.

6. Just dawned on me, You can get short scale jazz style and p-style SX basses from Rondo Music. If you really have small hands they could be your best choice. Check them out on the internet. They are very inexpensive and generally get high praise for their quality for the price.

7. Played on a Danelectro Longhorn reissue a couple of days ago and it's got a pretty skinny neck on it if you ask me, might be worth checking out a Fender Mustang if you don't mind having a short scale too I've heard the neck is similar to the one on a Fender Bullet and that's skinny too.

8. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Go to a shop and check em out. Thats probably the best advice, whatever feels best to you.