1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newb Recording Bass Gear Question. Amp? Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mrevol, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    Hey guys, my first post so hopefully this is the right area.

I am looking for a bass rig for my studio and don't want to spend a ton. I do mostly indie rock to metal stuff. I don't need a rig for live but just for studio so I don't think volume is a must.

I have been eyeing an Ampeg pf500 and am leaning that way so opinions on that would be great (or other contenders).

Second question is cab?? What cab should I be looking at for a great recording sound but won't take up all the recording space?
    svt410h? svt410hlf? Bergantino NV610?? etc.....

Thanks much

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can probably get started just running a DI from your head. PF is a good choice.

I always use a blend of DI and mic when I am recording but a lot of people get by fine with only DI.

If you dont need to play live or super loud a good 2x10 or 1x12 should do the trick for your purposes. I prefer 10's for recording. What is your budget for cab specifically?

3. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    Well, I have the DI situation already as that's the way I have been recording for a long time with a Ba115. So I want to upgrade the Ba115 part and at first was looking at B15's but don't really want to spend $1500-$2k. So I'm prob looking at max $700 for cab and I don't mind used either.

4. PF-500 and a PF 115LF.

Also you can find versions of used B15 for a lot less than 1500. Actually, if you are setting your sights on all tube, I would look for a V4b, and a decent cab.

5. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    Well I do mostly rock music so maybe shy'd away from the pf115lf thinking that it would be more jazzy. Would it record great compared to a 4x10 cab??

Looked at the v4b and intrigued but don't know anything about the vintage amps and would hate to get ripped off.

6. Why would the 115LF be jazzier than a 410? For the most part each cab has its own specific tonality, none of which is attributed to the speaker diameter. I recommend you go play through as many cabs as you can. Get the one that sounds good to you.

Well I think there is a re-issue in the works.

7. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    Can you guys tell me what's the going rate on B15r's. Should I be looking at one of those?

8. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    there are plenty of combos, amps & cabinets in your price range.. i wouldnt get hung up on ampeg until you have tried out everything that your local stores can show you.

9. Mrevol

Mrevol

Mar 12, 2013
    well i just found a b15r for $1000 but don't know if that is a great deal or not?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not bad at all considering it sold for $2000 new. Justin Meldal-Johnsen uses a B-15R on a lot of his recordings...the best example of that is "Paper Tiger" by Beck, where the bass is only recorded through a mic'ed B-15R. However, you can use a myriad of different amps to mic for a recording, including your BA115.