1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie: 1st Amp & 1st live performance

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by scat1234, Apr 20, 2010.

1. scat1234

scat1234

Apr 4, 2010
    Long Island
    Hi, got my 1st amp to play out, it's a Behringer with a 15" will this be sufficient to fill a small pub venue? It's also heavy as hell, any tricks? It has only a carrying handle, but no wheels.

Thank you so much, looking forward to playing live :hyper:

2. tiz_1

tiz_1

Jan 6, 2009
    Milford, CT
    For amps / speakers / pa gear with no wheels, consider a luggage cart type of hand truck. Makes schlepping the amp a little easier. Most of those little carts will carry 75-100lbs and fold up for storing.

Good luck & have fun.

--Kevi

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    yes, it should be enough to fill a small venue unless you want to play metal or hard rock very very loudly.

4. t bake

t bake

Dec 26, 2009
    First gig cool man I think rember that feeling, Your gear will work. Just enjoy it you will have so many new experiences all in one. (Any of you old farts rember that feeling) Now thats your new drug! just rember that it may be a habit in the makeing gear ,gigs , new tunes ect... hope it goes well for you report how it turns out . God Bless Gig On!!!

5. Good luck on your first gig man! I'm sure it will be a blast!

6. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Congrats on the first gig, but good luck on the Behringer.

Make sure to put the 15" on a stand so you get more volume and dispersion out of it.

7. I agree with everyone else..
    it will do the job.
    enjoy that first one.
    its good to be giggin.

8. It's probably fine. You didn't mention the wattage, though. I don't know of any Behringer bass amps with a 15" speaker that's less then 180 watts. That's almost certainly enough, but I certainly wouldn't ever go much below that, especially if you're playing bass-heavy stuff like reggae.

As for carrying that around, a hand cart is good, but it's probably less then 100 lbs. Make sure you keep in good terms with at least one other band member so they can give you a hand with your amp!

9. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Congrats on getting your first gig. I remember my first gig, it was almost 40 years ago, yet the memory of terror and joy are still fresh.

That thing will be fine. Just rope a buddy into helping you lug it. People like being asked to help.

As time progresses, your equipment needs will come into focus. For now my advice is to just enjoy the experience of playing live.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I suggest you go wireless so during sound check you can go FOH to hear how you fit in the mix.

11. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    If you play well enough to earn a lot of attention, you'll have roadies to haul whatever hefty gear you choose before you know it.

...couldn't resist...

Consider bringing something to your show that will elevate your amp up off the floor - that might help you get your sound into the room a little better, but it's no biggie. If you do try something, make sure it's a stable setup so that gravity doesn't claim your rig in the middle of a set, otherwise let it stay on the floor.

And for God's sake, try and have some fun out there!!!