Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Amp Head Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cacklingjackyl, Mar 14, 2004.

1. I am looking for the right head to push my Ampeg SVT410HE (8 Ohms) and will probably be buying either an Avatar B115 or B212 Delta LF soon (www.avatarspreakers.com). The B212 comes in 2, 4, or an 8 ohm option. What is the least amount of watts I should look for in a head, and do you think I should add the one 15 or two 12's?

Right now I use a Peavey Combo 210TX and that is it. I will probably sell it when I obtain the new head. I need more volume and punch. Note that I would consider cabs other than the Avatar's, but have heard that they are very good for the price, and I am looking to spend somewhere in the range of $300 for the cabs.

Remember, I am new to this so any insight you have will be sincerely appreciated.

2. Before you sell the 210TX try adding a single 15 with it as an extension speaker. That amp will put out 300 watts into 2 ohms. With the added 15 you might just have what you need. just a suggestion.

3. I just read about the extention capabilites of the Peavey 210TX here at talkbass. I have not tried the Ampeg 410's with it yet with my band, so I am not sure how that will work. Six 10's seems like it may be a little weak on the lower end, but 6 is a little better than 2 for now.

I do not want to sell the 410's for money for the 15. Do you think the best thing for me to do would be to invest in a 15 and try it out with the 210TX. If I like it, I could keep that configuration for some time. If not, I could dump the Peavey 210 TX and buy a head to use with the 15 and the 410's. Does that make sense?

Another question that comes to mind is the difference between 2 12's and 1 15 speaker. If I went with the Avatar's, there is not much price difference. Which would be the better option to try with the Peavey 210TX?

4. How much are you wanting to spend for a head?

5. I will need to go for something used I'm sure, or I could finance something more expensive.

$300.00- $400.00 range if I could find anything used.

6. By the way, how does that Peavey work for you?

7. I hooked the Ampeg SVT 410HE up to the expandable Peavey 210TX and the Peavey blew. This is the 2nd time in a month this has happened. I plan on getting it fixed and will try to sell it.

My question now is how many watts would I need in a head to drive the Ampeg cab (8 ohms) mentioned above and an Avatar 212 Delta LF. I have bought the Avatar yet but plan to do so soon. It comes in 2, 4, or 8 ohm options. What wattage would I need in the head and should I go for 2, 4, or 8 ohms in the Avatar?

Please help a clueless newbie out. Thanks.

8. Hey cacklingjackyl.

Cabinet - You should definitely go with another 8ohm cabinet. Running together you will get a 4 ohm load, which is where most bass amps make their best power. With that 410 HE, I would pair it with another cab that had a little more low end. This does not rule out tens though, because many of the newer cabinets with tens have some of the lowest frequency responses. But costwise a good 115 cabinet would be the way to go. Within brands, less speakers= lower price.

Head - In that price range I would go for a good solid state head pushing at least 300 watts at 8 ohms. My advice would be to check out the feedback on a bunch of different heads hear on TB as well as bgra.net and Harmony-central.com and find one that matches your style. Then check ebay and/or the classifieds here to find a good deal on a used one.

Just as a suggestion, If you like your Ampeg cabinet, I would look for an SVT 115 HE to go under it so it will match. Ampeg also makes some pretty good sounding solid state heads you could pick up used in that price range.

9. Thanks.