Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbie Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've been playing a combo amp the entire time I've been playing bass (3 years) so I don't know squat about bigger rigs. I got a used 215 cab from a TB'er awhile back. He had told me that he used a Hartke 3500 and that he found it necessary to use a 'Gramma' pad between them to protect the head from vibration. The head that I am now dealing on is an SWR Workingman's 4004 which "comes in it's own carpeted rack". Will that work better sitting on top of the cab than the Hartke 3500 did (not in a rack)? Or will I still be likely to need padding in between? The cab should take the full 400 watts at 4 ohms. Do I just set the head on top of the cab and hook it up with an instrument cable and try to learn not to clip it, or should I have an insulating pad in between? Is there more that I need to know about to use this type of rig?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do not use an instrument cable to connect the amp to the cab! Always use a proper unshielded speaker cable.

Should you put the amp right on top of the cab? I do. I will leave it to others to argue if you should or not.

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    The idea of isolating head from cabinet might make some sense if it were a tube head (waits for other opinions to fly . . . :cool: ), but assuming that it is a well-constructed SS amp, I can't see that the addition of a pad would be at all necessary.