Newbie EUB advice (UK)

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Green-Zealot, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Green-Zealot

Apr 22, 2005
    :D Hello everyone.

I've only known of EUBs for about 24 hours now. I've been highly interested in buying a double bass for ages but haven't because of transport issues and size. I would really like to buy a bass instrument but BGs don't appeal because i only feel comfortable with them if they are propped upright.

Appologies if this has been posted many times before.

I live in the northeast of England and would like to know if there are any music shops nearby which could help me out with an EUB. Is it all good and safe to order them from other countries or would you all advise against that?

I'm looking for something below or up to £1000 ($1900 USD approx.)

No bowing, only pizz.

Sounds more like a DB than a BG. Also more of a "BUMMM" than a "THUNK" ;)

I would like one for all sorts of musical styles. Experimental jazz, blues, dub, electronic and rock (quite a versatile selection of genres :cool: )

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction :bassist:

I do have my heart set on an EUB now. Are there any sites where i could hear demos of different models being played? Also can you buy them directly from the manufacturers or do you have to find a supplier? I only ask because i've been on a few EUB manufacturers websites and none have hinted a price or even that you can buy them.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi, and welcome aboard!
    Can you please take a few minutes and fill out your profile more thoroughly? (gear, etc.)
    It helps us to help you!
    Also please some time to browse our forum archives.
    There has been several threads recently about EUBs in the UK.
    You'll also learn that string selection is a key factor to get more of a DB sound from an EUB!
    Watch some threads featuring Bruce Lindfield.
    He's also from the UK, plays a Ned Steinberger EUB, etc...

3. Hello GZ

I've just sent you a personal message.