Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blujax01, Nov 16, 2005.

1. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    ...And a drummer to boot!

Warmest regards to "The Other Half Of The Rhythm":

I got it in my head to learn to play bass to better lock in with my bass player as well as accepting the internal challenge to try something new and different. As a "seasoned" drummer, I get asked a lot of questions from starters about what gear to buy. I always point them toward solid vintage gear over new cheap imports. Well made 50's through 80's drums with a few nicks and stickers are better made and a bargain than the low end new Chinese stuff.
    That's in the drum world. What I hope to learn is if this also hold true for bass guitars?
    I'll be lurking about, learning the lay of the land and after you all have your fun (How many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb, etc...), I expect we'll become quite friendly.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Don't worry, You'll give up the Drums soon enough. Everyone comes in from the "dark side" sooner or later. Once you figure out Bass Players get all the chicks and show up to practice on time, and can "read stuff" you'll come over! :D WELCOME!!!
  3. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Happened to me, I used to be a guitarist many moons ago...
  4. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    It's true....I droppped the drumsticks and never looked back.
  5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    welcome to the 'low end' .. :) this is our 'low' greetings..
  6. It's strange, i did the reverse a while ago... i'm a choral singer as well as a bassist, and I felt compelled to check out the drums in order to be better organized rythmically. I have a sibling who plays them, so VOILA free instruction... :D

But, regardless,

welcome to the forum!
  7. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    Drummers and bassists are brothers in arms. We ARE the music! There is no lead, there is no follow. There is only unity.

I got a line on a ten year old Japanese Ibanez SR800 in electric blue. Having read the reviews here, it seems a perfectly good "starter bass". If the deal works out, that'll be my choice. Thank you all for your very informative and friendly website.

Now for an amp...

I'll be back.

8. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Welcome aboard, Alan! :)

I think it's very cool that you're doing this. I'm not to the point of wanting to learn drums yet, but getting involved with bass has made me much more aware of different patterns and rhythms. I'm taking more of an interest in what the drummer's doing (and I don't just mean paying attention and understanding... we have to do that... I mean an actual interest in what patterns he's playing and why). I've only been playing with the group I'm in since February, but the drummer and I have both commented that we can feel the bond forming. It feels good, and every time we play things get just a little better and tighter.

So, I definitely agree with the "brothers in arms" sentiment, and I don't think you'll get too many "lightbulb" jokes here... after all I think most of us know just as many can be slung at bass players as drummers. :)

"Buy used" is certainly a good approach. I dunno about the drum situation, but it's been my experience that certain cheap import basses can be excellent first choices as well. I haven't tried one personally, but I hear pretty consistent raves about the SX line (available through Rondo). You can only do so badly with a $100 bass that plays well!

Personally, I lucked out with a $100 Kramer from Music Yo. Same sort of deal -- cheap, wasn't expecting much, quite surprised by what arrived at my door.

The SR800 sounds like it would be fun. If it doesn't pan out, though, try doing some searches on the SX or Kramer here -- you'll get a fistful of opinions you can use in making your cheap new versus quality used decision.

Again, welcome aboard!

9. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    It looks like it's going to happen. I'm trading $300 worth of cymbals for an electric blue SR 800. Made In Japan, Serial Number F215307. Is there a way the serial number can be traced to a manufacturing date? Is this an equitable trade, dollar-wise?

Dude said it has one "p" and one "j" pickup. (Sorry, I'm still learning the language. I'm sure that has meaning!) and there is a buzz that may mean it needs a pre replaced. OK, so how much will that run me?

Just bought a copy of Bass Player magazine. Gotta go read.

Damn, this is fun!

10. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    Not familiar with the Ibanez models so I can't answer the value question, but the p and the j pickups refer to Fender type precision pickup in the neck position and the jazz pickup in the bridge position. Kinda like this:

It's kinda like a best of both worlds from the precision and jazz models. Nice pickup confirguration IMO.
  11. Nice to see some Death From Above 1979 pimping there :p
  12. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    Yeah well, so I'm "vintage". BTW, found the site w/ serial numbering. Looks like a 1992. NOW I gotta learn about a "5-piece neck" and "Gotoh" tuners!

(You know, you bass player types aren't so bad after all) :D

Sound bites ARE NOT ME!!! I'm more handsomer....
  13. uuhhhh....YOU guys are the "other half";)

Anyway, yeah, I know exactly what you mean about old stuff being better, at least with the drums. Basses, not so much. Old basses (especially a good 60-70's Fender) have a very distinct sound and are generally more expensive then a new one.
    When I was in high school, my music teacher brought in most of the stuff in the classroom from his personal collection. The drums, 2 guitar amps, a bass, and a huge bass cab were all his own stuff. Not a single piece of the drum set was younger the 15 years old. The bass drum was from a marching band (as in the huge cannon-sounding thing that should be strapped to your chest), and the top cymbal of the hat was autographed by the drummer from some band (I forget who). Despite all this, the set sounded awesome. It looked like crap, but sounded great. So a little off topic there, didn't I?
  14. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    That's OK, listen to my right foot. It'll pull you back in. :D
  15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

welcome to TalkBass !!!

input with a drummer's point of view will make you a popular
    person around here ...

uhmmm , so how many drummers does it take to screw in a lightbulb ?

just kidding ...
    have fun and remember , there are quite a few bassists
    on this forum with extensive knowledge , so don't be a stranger ...
  16. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
    Four. One to do the work and three more to sit around and b*tch because it's electric!

Thanks for the welcome, folks.
  17. Be glad you don't want to pick up the guitar. Bassists and drummers are usually the bandmembers that stick together because they are both underappreciated but oh-so-very essential instruments.

Just use the search and have a good look at the 'open letter to new bassists'-thread at
    After having done that, all questions are welcome :)
  18. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    You can look at vintage fenders and such all you want, but just so you know, have your pocket book ready. They can run pretty high. Personally, I've been impressed with the SX line of basses. . The brice basses are nice as well, I own a 6er brice, and for the $, it's perfect. In general, buying used a great thing, just make sure you know what you're getting.

It all really depends on your budget. And lastly, i reconmend starting on a four string, 34" scale bass. Personally, I would either start on a P-bass or J-bass. They seem to be very good basses, and have alot of options if you wish to "upgrade" later (electronics, hardware and such).
  19. blujax01

Nov 16, 2005
  20. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason years ago and never looked back!!! :D :bassist: