1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie: Marcus Miller vs Fender Standard J vs ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rhaegar, Nov 8, 2010.

1. rhaegar

rhaegar

Nov 8, 2010
    My local guitar shop doesn't have a huge selection of basses. One that caught my attention used Marcus Miller 4 string with hard case for $800. I liked it well enough, but frankly I don't feel that I know enough to form a strong opinion. The other contender was a Fender Standard Jazz. There's not a lot of other choices in town, and most of the craigslist stuff that I see is an hour drive away. Job and family stuff makes a lot of driving around looking at basses not all that practical.

I guess I'm curious on opinions about whether the Marcus Miller would be a good choice. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

If you liked it, most would agree that a Marcus Miller is a good bass

3. yawametoo

yawametoo

Sep 30, 2010
    Yea man, Marcus Miller basses are great instruments. Honestly among J-Basses they are one of the best for the value. They feel like deluxe jazz basses for half the cost.

Not sure if you ended up getting that one at GC but I am selling one in the classifieds. Check it out if you are interested.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712184

4. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    I love my Marcus Miller Jazz - I picked up a used one and it's fantastic.

I think the perception is that the preamp is the MMs weak point, though if it works for you then that's all that matters... I dropped in a John East MM Retro preamp to replace the stock preamp. Although it already sounded great I wanted a bit more versatility - the difference is amazing, I'm confident it can handle any musical situation now.

That and the d-tuner to satisfy my ego!! :rollno:

I've played loads of instruments and been through many, this MM feels like I've 'come home' - it's getting all the playtime - so much so I'm probably going to sell the StingRay HH!!

Great instrument...

5. adamb1026

adamb1026

Nov 6, 2010
    Belfast
    The Marcus Miller is a great bass. I played one about a year ago and I think they are Japanese made, but don't let that put you off as it is brilliantly put together.

Wasnt too sure about the pick-up cover, I would buy from your guitar store, so you know if you have any problems, they'll be easily fixed.

Since your new to the bass, maybe not burn your wallet on a MM, and maybe look at the Standard Jazz.

6. They are fairly different basses actually, me personally, I tend to lean toward simplicity with my jazzes, so I'd go with the standard. I do have a number of other basses though, so I can accept the limitations of the passive electronics for those situations where that's what I prefer. If it was going to be my only bass, I moght go for the MM.

7. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Had a Marcus. Sold it.

Great tone, but the radius was too curved, it had limited tone control, was noisy, and had the ugliest pickguard imaginable. And I don't like natural finishes, but that's me.

8. I would go with the Standard also.

9. The PGs are a little strange looking. That raises a good point too, but of course it is very subjective. I think the classic lines of a regular old jazz are pretty near perfect and the MM doesn't do it for me looks wise. I know looks shouldn't be number one on anyone's list of reasons to buy or not to buy, but come on, there are far too many basses in the world for you to be forced to play one you think is ugly.

10. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    +1.

It all comes down to personal preference. These threads are all subjective to the owner/buyer. Pick it up, play it - if it doesn't work for you in looks or feel - move along, plenty to see :)

I have the Sunburst MM, the pickup cover came off mine pretty quickly - I love the look and feel so I'm one happy camper.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all wanted the same thing :cool: