1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie needs a Luthier

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Dpburrill, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Hello.

I am trying to locate a Luthier in Southern California to possibly re-hab my old King upright. A number of years ago I posted this same inquiry but finances didn't allow me to pursue. Now I've got some extra cash and I'd like to get some estimates. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks for any responses.

Dave

2. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    We've got plenty of good people here. In no particular order:

Lisa Gass (LA Bassworks)
    Jon Peters (World of Strings)
    Gary Chen Stein (Stein on Vine)
    Lemur Music (San Juan Capistrano)
    Hammond Ashley (San Diego)

Hope that helps

louis

4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I just had some fine work done on my bass by Jon at World of Strings. My bass teacher goes to Lisa Gass. And, also had some fine work also done at Lemur by the guys who work there full time. I think you have some great choices here.

There's also David Mallard in the San Diego area who does great work. Last I heard he lives in the Ocean Beach area. He is also a well known musician, so you could probably find his number somewhere on the net.

5. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    James Brown (really) in Claremont...