Newer video games

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm not really a big fan of video games myself, but I like the older ones. It seems all these newer high graphics systems (x-Box, PS2, Game Cube) have mostly recycled garbage for games.

I know people who camped outside the store to be the first to buy that new one that just came out. I don't see what the big deal is, the games are exactly the same as the systems that came out a few years ago.

Anyone else here like the older ones? I'd rather play original nintendo games over any of the high tech ones out today. What these 8 bit games lack in graphics, they make up in coolness and originality. All these new games seem bland and souless. (Grand Theft Auto is a smash though, so are a few games on Nintendo 64)
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I mostly play Madden, NBA, Tony Hawk, and NHL so I don't expect much from my video games. There's only so much you can do with those games.

I bought an Atari/Colecovision on eBay a couple months ago, and sold it within a week. It was boring. I do keep my Super Nintendo hooked up for some TECMO Bowl now and then.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I play Guild wars, CS:s and I have a gamecube. Its great for parties because games like super smash bros are great for tournaments between friends.

I got a gamecube the day it came out, but that was since it was my birthday.

gaming+music=hobbies :D
  4. Hollywood killed the video (gaming) star.

Video games have very much turned into what film is today - lot's of high budget pieces of crap getting thrown out constantly. With exception of a few gaming giants still making good games, a lot of the better games these days are from smaller developers, much like film and music industries, really.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Super Nintendo still remains the System Supreme. Playstation 1 had it's share of awesome games too, but SNES is still tops in my book. PS2 has a handful of _really_ good games, but I will agree that most of the newer games are mediocre at best.

There are a couple of franchise games I'd like to follow up with, but I would have to buy a Game Cube. (Which isn't too bad, considering they're like $75 used.) Zelda and Metroid specifically.
  6. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I own a Gamecube, but it's mostly played with by my wife and oldest son. I play Zelda and Metroid.

I'll be buying a Revolution specifically because it will allow me to download all the old Nintendo titles to play for a low monthly fee, kind of like Gametap for Nintendo.

A lot of games these days just don't draw me in like games used to, but if I'm honest, there was a lot of crap out when I was a kid, too. ET and Chase the Chuckwagon come to mind, and there are hundreds of other titles if I stop to remember them. The only reason we don't remember them now is probably because they didn't spend 8 figures on advertising for months in advance of the release date, which is common practice now, and no one dreamed of charging $70 for a box set version of a sequel!

Gametap and take up a lot of my gaming time, although I just got Neverwinter Nights, which looks promising.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Something to consider, though - how much of our preference to older video games is nostalgia? We spend a lot of our formulative years with these games, and that puts a lot of attachment on them. (This is my case, anyhow.) Now that we're older and the newer games are out, are we really looking at them objectively?
  8. NOTHING beats a good old game of Duck Hunt!!!

Rock on
  9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I agree that the SNES was the shiznit. As far as the nostalgia thing goes, I'm not sure that's completely true. I still have my NES, and I play from time to time, but I don't feel like the games were all that great. They were GOOD, well some of them, but not as consistently as on the super nes. I mean, who can argue with FFIV, V, VI, Chrono Trigger, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, F-Zero, Secret of Mana, Secret of Mana 2 (seiken densetsu 3), Terranigma, Soul Blazer, and well, Mario World?
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Other than updating rosters, etc, they are pretty much just reinventing the wheel with sports games. But it's good enough to get me to buy one every other year or so.

There are also a lot more games that go in depth, like the Civilization games for PC.
  11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Mario for 64 was a killer game, spent tons of time trying to get all 120 stars.
    Bond was also a classic. One of the best games out there even today.
    The first Star Wars was also sweet, I spent tons of time getting the Wampas to follow me around, those things were cool.
    Unfortunitly Nintendo 64 ended up putting out mostly crap after that.

The same goes with computer games. I tried playing Doom 3, awful game. Doom 1 & 2 I could still play for hours.
  12. One word: Contra!!

Rock on
  13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

Try games like the Splinter Cell series. Until the advent of these new systems, they couldn't do a game like SC.
  14. That's an awfully jaded and cynical way to look at... there are many innovative games out there, such as Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero, so on, so forth, the only distinction you have to keep in mind is the amount of publicity these titles receive, not to mention that most often never make it state side. I'm not knocking the older generation of gaming, seeing as how I grew up with an NES, but there is exciting stuff out there, and that goes for any form of media or entertainment, you just have to look a little harder.
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sega master system, or maybe the genesis, was the best system ever.

I play a couple of FPS games on the PC but that's about it.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    True. Even then, the rosters are a little outdated by the time the season starts. The games usually come out before final cuts in the preseason. There's always a few guys who move around after that. No biggie though. It's not like I don't enjoy the game because of it.

17. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I'm not terribly into new video games either, and I think there are only very few games that actually manage to be the "interactive movies" they aspire to be, such as the Silent Hill games. Of course, they have their flaws as well but they're a good step in the right direction. It's a bit sad to see PC gaming go down the crapper because it was so strong in the early to late Nineties, but obviously, consoles are where the cash is at.
  18. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I'm a big Zelda I fan. That's one of the few video games that take awhile to master (seriously, could any of you beat eight of the blue wizards in a single room without losing a heart?)
  19. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I play Robotron 2084 on a MacMAME emulator.

And sometimes Galaga.
  20. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I miss side scrolling button mashing fighters.