Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newish Teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 5, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, my guitarist teaches lessons for a living (in addition to our cover gigs) and he has started referring people who want to learn bass to me. I have had a few students before, and I think I've done a decent job, but we have never lasted more than a few months (either because I moved or they lost interesst). I know the basics of reading music and can teach it, I know how to show them to produce good tone, I know how to show them common scale patterns, and I can help people figure out their favorite songs. What else should I be doing to be a good teacher?

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Are you working them through a basic book. That way they can see the progress they are making and it is easy to give them exercises to do every week.

Plus some students aren't in it for the long haul.

I always got more from teachers that had a book and other exercised to work from that gave me more than enough to keep me busy...not overkill though.

Also, working on different things...scales, but also ear training, varied rhythms, chords and chord structures, sight reading or reading in general, basic left and right hand tech/exercise, them transcribing from songs they like.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I'm a jewish teacher, it was hard at first, but now I'm doing fine.