Nice, affordable sixbanger?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Visti, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    At first, I was thinking of making the jump to a fretted bass, since I normally play nothing but fretless, but then the devil took hold of me and convinced that I might as well up myself a notch and get a sixstringer.

So, I'm looking for a sturdy, cheap sixstringer that's available to me (in Denmark), that can serve as an introduction to sixstringers. It doesn't have to be a topoftheline anything, it's just to see if I can get the hold of playing sixers.

I was looking at an Ibanez BTB406QM, but heard some horrorstories about the finish being really poor and crackling noises and such.

Any other suggestions?
  2. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I love my new Ibanez SR506. Oil finshed mahogony body, Bartolini MK1 pickups and 3 band EQ, 5 piece Bubinga/Wenge neck all for about $600 USD. It sounds and plays great! :)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:
  3. Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Man, I was looking at those and reading the reviews and they just make my loins feel like exploding, I'm definetly going to consider one of those.
  4. If I was looking for a used 6er, the first thing I would do is check Ebay for a used Carvin. Even in mint condition, they sell for about half of the price of a new one
  5. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    +1 on the Carvins. There's a couple of there right now for under $500. Also the Dean Edge is considered a nice 6 string in its price range and sells for about $400 on eBay when they pop up.
  6. Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    But shipping from most dealers on Ebay, except maybe some in Germany or something, would be a real bastard, wouldn't it? I mean, I've seen the SR506 in some retail stores and such, so that would be much easier for me.
  7. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Dean makes a real nice 6-string in the $600 USD range, the Edge Q 6. I had this one about two years (got rid of it because it ended up 6-stringers was just not for me), EMG PU's and DUAL TRUSS RODS. A good feature on a 6-string bass....

8. Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Yeah, that looks nice ánd is actually a little cheaper than the SR506 around here, but I'm still leaning towards the _Ibanez if not just out of vanity.
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Other options:

-Peavey Fury 6
    -ESP/LTD B206
    -Spector Legend 6
    -anything used

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm looking at the ESP B206 ($ picture) or the Cort Curbow 6 ($516..bottom picture)

Both have gotten pretty decent reviews here on TB.
  11. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I have the Brice HXB-406, and it is a really fine bass. It only cost me about $279 USD, and it was more than worth it. If you want to go higher, that's cool. Just consider this one, and I can promise you that you won't be dissapointed. If, by some strange sequence of events, you actually ARE dissapointed, then you can kick me in the testicles.

Cyberly, of course.
  12. Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Ahemm, only available in the US, mind you.
  13. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Dammit. I'll take that kick in the testicles now, I suppose.
  14. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Call rondo and see if you can get it shipped Via Fedex or something. Just ask really nice. Worst come to worst- they say they can't do it. Also see if Brice has a site, and call them. Maybe the can ship one to you. I have a brice 6er, and I must say, it's great for the $$. Just what a wanted a decent/mediocre 6er, and not to spend 2000. Sounds great imo, and plays great as well. Finish isn't spectacular, but hey for 289 i'm not complaining.
  15. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Thing about contacting Brice is that it's impossible. They're made by a mythical factory in China. When I emailed Kurt and asked if Galveston and Brice were made in the same factory, he told me, "We're not really allowed to tell you anything." (Not his exact words, but same effect.)