Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nicky Orta!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Wolf, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    This guy's tremendous!
    Saw him & his brother Mike with Sandoval
    on the '91 Montreal Jazzfest tape -
    and I was just *blown away*!

He's groovy, and he's mellow, and he's got that
    cuban edge!

Plus I think I'm getting an Alembic :D

2. Yeah I have a tape of him playing with Arturo Sandoval at the 91 JVC jazz festival playing "Night in Tunisia" and he is just KILLING that groove!
    Last I heard of him, he was playing with Julio Iglesias. Good gig but probably dosen't get to stretch out as much.

3. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    yea, Nicky Orta is a monster player. He always sounded great with Arturo - he really made that Flight to Freedom album. To think that the "other" bass player on the album is Anthony Jackson and Nicky's tracks stand pretty equal - well, that's saying something. I think my favorite album with his playing is Paquito D'Rivera's "40 Years of Cuban Jam Sessions". His groove is unstoppable on "Descarga Para Band Y Combo" then he solos with two other bassists on "Tres Tigres Tristes". Oh yea, and one of the other bass players is Cachao. Its a killer track. Haven't seen that video from the jazz fest, I will have to hunt it down . . .

4. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    No, I think that its Sal Cuevas (Electric) and Eddie "Gua Gua" Rivera (Baby Bass) on Danzon. I'm not at home right now, so can't check, but I'm pretty sure. I think the only one that Nicky recorded on was Flight to Freedom. I'd love to know if people have other latin jazz albums with Nicky playing.