Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Niels Henning Orsted-Pedersen...RIP

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Mikkel-S, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    From danish news-papers; the legendary bassplayer Niels-Henning Ørsted-Pedersen has died! The headlines don't say anything about how he died!
    He was only 58years old!

This news has truly chrashed my day!

Danish tv-station TV2: News

RIP

2. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    That's just TRAGIC!.....Niels Henning was one of the most soulful bassist I've ever heard....This is a great loss!..R.I.P!

3. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Hey Jacove..

Har du nogle andre kilder (internationale?)... altså udover Ritzau. Det er lidt mærkeligt der ingen dødsårsag er skrevet.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Nej, jeg har ikke hørt andet...nyheden er sikkert så frisk at dødsårsagen ikke er hel klarlagt....

5. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Okay.. Jeg leder videre... Men dybt tragisk..

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - that is a shock! :(

I was just reading UK JazzWise magazine which was advertising a gig in London on 1 July, where he was due to be playing with Oscar Peterson and I was wondering about going.....:meh:

That's very sad - I suppose they will cancel that tour now....:(

Of course - it's primarily a sad day for his family/friends - but a sad day for music as well...

7. I'm in shock! R.I.P.

...det er bare en den slags nyheder man sidder og stirrer vantro på i håb om at den går væk igen :(

8. Just shock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really Sad.
    He is the one of my heros.

R.I.P.

9. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Ja, det er sgu utroligt.. Jeg troede også det var en dårlig spøg i starten!

Man this has ruined my day!

10. Tragic! I have just lost all inspiration to ever pick up my bass again. Thankyou NHOP for everything you have ever played!

11. Mikkel,
    I have just gone to the site you noted Danish TV2.

I wonder would you please translate the news item from Danish to English for us. Also, would you please keep this thread informed of any further information you can find on Niels death.

Many Thanks.
    powermans

12. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Powermans: Of course! But there are not any news on how he died yet. But I keep you posted!

Translation: Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen, who was one of Europes most significant bassplayers, has died, only 58 years old. Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen, also knows as NHOP, has played on hundreds of records with all the names in jazz-music. He received "Nordisk råds" music-award in 1990 and was also honoured with other prizes etc.

Thats' about it.. Not very informative.. :-( And sorry for the bad translation/grammar.

13. Many Thanks Mikkel,
    Please keep us informed !

powermans

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh, man...that's a shame. Way too young.

I'm thinking of him playing "Donna Lee" with Martial Solal. :(

15. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Here is a small document that recaptures what a great man he was...
    NIELS-HENNING ØRSTED PEDERSEN – BASS

BIOGRAPHY

Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen was born May 27, 1946, in Osted, Denmark. He studied Piano for six years then switched to Bass, studying with a leading classical teacher for five years. Niels-Henning was soon recognised as a great talent, starting his professional career at the age of fourteen, playing with Danish jazz groups. In 1962 he played and recorded with pianist Bud Powell.

Is reputation spread all over the Continent and soon he became a very busy musician considered the best bassist that Europe had to offer- even Count Basie tried to hire him. Working at the famous Montmartre Jazzhouse of Copenhagen Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen played regularly with Dexter Gordon and other visiting soloists. His versatility allowed him to play with musicians of different stylistic concepts from Albert Ayler to Ben Webster.

During the sixties Niels-Henning Pedersen began to appear at major jazz festivals all over the world, joining Sonny Rollins’ Trio as well as the Bill Evans Trio. In the early seventies he started his long lasting partnership with pianist Oscar Peterson, a partnership that has been documented on many highly acclaimed recordings. Niels-Henning also began his own recording career as soloist with the album “Jaywalkin”, which was nominated for the Montreux Grand Prix in 1975.

With a virtuoso bass technique and a creative musical mind, it is no surprise that Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen has become an eternal traveller- being called on by the leading Jazz players for concerts and recordings all over the world. But still he has never cut his roots. When he is working on his own, Niels-Henning has developed an interest in exploring the heritage of Danish Folklore music. He also has spent time developing his own musical concepts, thus becoming a prolific composer as well as an outstanding musician.

Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen appears on more than 400 recordings with: Dexter Gordon, Kenny drew, Tete Montoliu, Jackie McLean, Martial Solal, Oscar Peterson, Paul Bley, Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, Duke Gordon, Chet Baker, Dizzy Parlan, Benny Carter, Joe Pass, Ella Fitzgerald, Monty Alexander, Milt Jackson, Doug Raney, Niels Lan Doky, Toots Thielemans, Roy Eldridge, Stan Getz, Tania Marla, Miles Davies (“Aura”, Grammy Winner 1990)

Selected Polls and Awards

Down Beat’s Critics’ Poll – 1961: No 1 Bassist

Melody Maker’s Readers Poll – 1977: No 1 Bassist

Down Beat’s Critic’s Poll – 1986: No 1 Bassist

“The Bird Trophy” at the North Sea Jazz Festival – 1987

Nordic Council Music Prize – 1991

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's either a typo or a remarkable achievement - given the DOB , he was only 15 years old, then!!

17. Nice Touch Jacove....Thankyou

I'm listening to the CD "Trio NHOP" and the track "To A Brother" as I type this which I purchased from his Live Concert here in Brisbane on Feb 24 1996.with Ulf Wakenius and Adam Nussbuam And I'm looking at his Autograph which he kindly signed for me after the concert.... I still can't believe this news.

I have been wondering for some time about what Niels has been doing as I havn't seen ANY new releases from him and he has always kept a LOW profile in his every day life. I have searched the net over the years trying to find out more info on Niels however, have always drawn a blank outside of a few articles written by Fans about NHOP. I have just about everything he has recorded on CD and DVD and I have noted that he has not released anything since "This Is All I Ask" 1998. (I Think) "Friends Forever"and "Those Who Were"are earlier releases. I have been waiting and watching for the next exciting NHOP gem for some time .......
    it seems I have them all now!

18. I´m shocked. What a sad, sad day.
    It´s pretty damn close to a year from the day I saw him in April Jazz festival, playing with Johnny Griffin and Kirk Lightsey. Great as ever.
    Happy Eternal Jam Session, Niels.

19. stormwriter

stormwriter

Mar 25, 2005
    Dangit!
    He was my favorite bass player.
    I was just thinking about him about 1-2 minutes before i heard the news. (scatting part of a bass solo of his) That was weird.
    I listen to him pretty much everyday.
    This sucks. I have a weird feeling in my chest now.
    Argh.

20. Yes, a giant has fallen.
    He had had a heart attack several years ago, necessiating the cancellation of at least part of a North American tour.

Was fortunate to have seen/heard him live, even once: back in '94, Marlboro cigarettes sponsored a tour of Europe by a most impressive line-up that included Milt Jackson, Kenny Burrell, et al--but as stellar as the roster was, one couldn't focus on (or remember) anyone but the Great Dane.

By all means, check out the Pablo (?) recordings he did with Joe Pass (where they duo on "Tricrotism" and "Donna Lee," effervescently) and the one with Ray Brown. According to the liner notes for that one, they were trading four's on their respective basses when one of the instruments failed (the pick-up? I can't recall), so they had to jump in every 4 bars on the SAME bass....

We're orphans again. Losing Ray, and now Nils, the bottom is dropping out of the Great Living Bassist pantheon.