1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No FOH instruments...HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greyvagabond, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    So, my band is playing the Boston Music Festival tomorrow night at the Wonderbar. It used to be a big live music venue, but recently is been more DJs than anything. The whole festival is extremely poorly organized, and we JUST found out that, "You can only plug in vocal mics to the PA, no instruments. If you have a keyboard or guitar amplified, please bring an amp." Now, of course we were going to bring amps, but I have two; a 100 watt all tube ampeg, and an SWR redface 350. I almost always use the ampeg, because it sounds great, and I go direct anyways. But...I think it will get pretty distorted if I have to fill a whole room with just an SVT 4x10 HLF. This is propable the first show in 5 years I've played without FOH reinforcement, so, do you think I should take the Ampeg and risk sounding totally fuzzed out at high volumes, or use the SWR with a SansAmp to warm it up a bit?
    Thanks guys!! :help:

2. Sansamp set good and clean and loud into power section of ampeg. Will be gnarley.

3. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Do you want clean tone, or overdriven tone?

I'd take the 350 and run the Sansamp, but I don't like farty or overdriven sound.

What size room or crowd are you playing to?

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'd take both, just in case. Run the effects send of one into the effects return of the other.

5. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    There are five other bands on that bill with you. Are you all bringing and setting up bass rigs? You might want to contact the band playing before or after you and see if they are interested in sharing gear. If neither of you have enough rig for the gig you could rent one and split the cost.

I use a 410HLF at Jamspot in Somerville every week with one of those SVT350H heads and I'm not a fan of it. It easily gets smoked by my tiny GK1001/Schroeder 1212 rig. I don't know about your head, but I wouldn't expect that rig to do much at Wonderbar. It will keep up with a drum kit, but that's about it. I think you'll need more if you expect to really fill that place with sound. Sucks that they aren't providing FOH support. I've never had that issue before in Boston.

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    if it's a big room i would probably just tell them no thanks. big room with no drums in the pa just plain sucks. even if you get the bass sounding right, the lack of kickdrum is a huge issue. for any kind of aggressive or beat oriented music without a solid kick it just has no energy. i only say this cause it sounds like a free gig (any time i hear festival and no foh) if it's a decent payday, do it, and just get your usual stage mix. bring up the vocals to match that and play it. if it's not loud enough that's the venue's problem. get paid, lesson learned.

if it's a freebe call them back and tell them they need to provide adequate sound or find someone else. this would be more effective if you know some of the other bands and you all do it together.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That makes absolutely no sense. Did you even read the OP's question?

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    To the OP, if the gig doesn't pay then you can either walk away, or invest in problem solving only for your own satisfaction. If the gig does pay, then you can rent a bigger rig.

9. Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, its a really really poorly run event. The other bands playing are more singer-songwritter inspired, so I don't know if they will even have amps; even if they did, I HATE using other people's amps, so I'd rather be quiet than fiddling with knobs :) I think I'll just take the SWR and say, screw it, we are going to sound bad anyways...and, no, it doesn't pay. We originally chose it because of publicity exposure, but they've kinda fallen back on that too. We aren't a loud band, and pride ourselves on being reasonably well mixed and sounding, but its not really a small room. Oh well, I'll get back to you guys either with a complete horror story, or a novel solution! Thanks for all your help.

10. +1

If it's a low pay/no pay type of gig, I would pull the plug.

I would rather pass up the "exposure", than play and sound like ass

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I was just thinking, "Hmm, that'd be a great excuse to rent a 400+ and an 8x10."

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You should be fine with the Ampeg, Wonderbar isn't that big. I haven't been in a while but I remember it being about on par with the Greatest Bar, the Rack, and Copperfields all of which I've played without FOH support. The biggest issue with those type of shows is usually the drummer.

Good luck with the music fest, we decided to steer clear of that one...

13. Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles

Ha...yeah, that may have been the smart choice on your part...See ya around Boston maybe!

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Sounding bad isn't a career boosting move. It's not likely the PA they'll have will sound good with the vocals either.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Probably too late now, but my response would have been "We have to charge more if we must provide the PA". Unless the festival is very small, a vocals only PA is not going to cut it.

16. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    FWIW, I was just looking over the event's website: http://www.bostonmusicfestival.org/band.htm. They've got Bakithi Kumalo on the band list, but I don't see him on the schedule anywhere. I wonder if he's doing a free gig with no PA too? I'd go see it.

OP, do you know if this is legit?

17. Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ha, I'm as in the dark as you are! I'd love to see him too, though!

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  19. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    So do you just have one cab? If you have access to another one, there should be enough ins and outs on the amps for you to use both -- have one just play power amp to the signal, then drive two sets of cabs...if you don't have a second cab, that idea wouldn't help much :)...but then the workload grows, and you're back to what everyone has asked -- is the show worth doing at that point.

Best of luck!!

ltt

20. Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I only have the one cab, but even if I had two, probably not worth the hassle...