1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No more gigs. See ya.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SteveC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, my standing Thursday night jazz gig is no longer after April. The venue can't afford it. My cover band played our last booked date on Wednesday. I'll still play at church.

Guessing I'll be here a lot less. To depressing to read about everyone else gigging, trying gear, etc.

Later.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is Off Topic- the majority of people who post here don't gig or even play bass. Join the club ;)

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Sorry. Didn't know where to post such a thing. Move it wherever you want. Or delete it. Doesn't matter I guess.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Unfortunately, I'm way too pretty to be considered for a moderator job.

Don't be so down though- you'll get another gig sooner or later.

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

This sucks , I read and here so much about venues closing and not being able to aford bands.

A friend of mine told me a bar they gig at monthly said they had to cut the bands pay.At 1st I thought it was just a bar owner being cheap. Come to find out the place went out of business and closed after 25 years.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sounds like someone's a bit depressed. :meh:

We can't really help you with that, but keep in mind that there are plenty of people here who don't "gig" regularly but are consistent members of TB AND they're good decent members of society. Maybe just chill back for a while and see what happens...Sometimes losing a gig means gaining new opportunities.

7. Tombowles has more gear than everyone else combined and I don't think he gigs. So don't feel left out. I only play at church these days, but that has constantly been the most fun out of any of my gigs.

lowosund

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Actually, I believe Tom does.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep. I haven't played a bass in about three years. I only own some bass gear because I am too lazy to put it up for sale and don't want to ship it or deal with the CL tweakers.

I don't think Bryan meant not to post it here, was just saying you can still hang around Off Topic with the rest of us posers.

-Mike

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I can relate to some degree and I just sent a PM somewhat on this same topic.

I mean my main band still gigs, but more infrequently lately and it's become less fun the last couple months and my side projects have either not gotten off the ground or fizzled out - one because our frontwoman's grad studies/teaching obligations have made her all but unavailable to practice/gig.

It's very frustrating to think that at 31 I'm done playing bass in bands, but we'll see.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you'll find another gig.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yikes. Even a non-talented loser like me managed to make it till I was 35, faking my way through gigs. :)

-Mike

12. Hang in there, guys. Just for comparison, I didn't even join my first "real" band until I was 32, and I've been gigging now for most of the last 14 years. Goes to show that you never know what the future may bring.

Besides, now you have time to finish all those musical projects that you couldn't get to before. Like Jazz Odyssey. :)

13. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Since I was in high school, I've only performed once, and I've been playing bass for 12 years. Oh, and only 2 bands. :/

(and more gear than I need)

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Have a snickers.

15. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    What am I reading here??? A bass player hosting a pity party??? Say it isn't so...

16. lol

17. BassSlave

BassSlave

Mar 2, 2006
    Chicago via Park Forest IL
    Endorsing artist: Sadowsky Basses & Dean Markley Strings
    A word or two of advice from a constant working bassist for well over thirty years and that is to diversify your portfolio, or in other words try different forms of music and maybe even another instrument or two. This way just like your gospel gig (which I have two regular churches I gig with and many other gospel projects) you will have a rock, jazz, reggae, funk, R&B and maybe even country band to work when you need to. I know a few jazz cats who also play in metal or punk bands on occasion, anything to get the work will help, even if you are not totally "into" the style. Just like slapping, and using a pick versus other techniques will get you more calls and call backs.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Fair enough. Reading what I wrote I can see how it seems like I'm contributing to a pity party.

But whether I have a band or not, I'm not going to stop playing bass. I told my girlfriend I wasn't feeling well so I could skip a birthday part for someone from her work and have spent the night working on stuff.

And if my gigging opportunities dry up (hopefully just temporarily), if anything you'll see me around here more not less. ;)

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There's ups and downs. Suck it up, or go lay down in in the whambulance.

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It goes up and down ... right now I have three paying gigs in the next 24 hours! :bassist:

My next gig on the books is October '09 :help:

... see what I mean? :rolleyes: