No sound from active bass unless i fret E really hard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IsleyBros, Jun 10, 2016.

1. IsleyBros

IsleyBros

Jun 10, 2016
    I received my Music Man Sterling SUB Ray 4 today and it worked fine for about 10 minutes and then the sound just stopped working. I figured the battery just died so i bought a new one but it still does not work.
    There is some sound produced when i fret the E string really hard but the signal is weak and cuts out quickly. This even works when i take out the battery completely.

-Nothing wrong with the cable or preamp, my strat works fine using it.
    -When i put in the new battery for the first time it got really hot, i don't know if this is normal or not.

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Batteries don't usually get hot unless their polarity is reversed or there's a short.

3. IsleyBros

IsleyBros

Jun 10, 2016
    I put in the battery correctly. There must be some short then.
    It's just strange that a brand new bass stops working after 10 minutes, the sound didn't glitch or anything like that it just stopped working very abruptly

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Sounds like a wire, or preamp component came loose somewhere.
    Good luck with this.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I have experienced faulty electronics on EBMM basses in stores, enough to where I stopped even touching them. You got a dud. I hope the seller makes it right.

6. IsleyBros

IsleyBros

Jun 10, 2016
    I contacted the store i bought it from and explained everything. I'm sure they will repair it or send me a new one.
    I was really looking forward to play it this weekend but now i'll have to wait until next week :(

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022