1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No sound...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GreatScott91, Jul 26, 2012.

1. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    Hey TB World,

(Not sure where to put this.) Got a two year old Schecter Riot 4 Deluxe, the bolt-on variety, and I'm dead...no sound, no nothing, doesn't even try. :(

I plugged into a 3 week old Acoustic B100 combo, tried a small Ibanez combo guitar amp just to see, 2 different batteries, 2 different cords, even tried to mess with the contacts on the input jack. Still nothing.

I'm out of options at the moment; the thing worked two days ago. None of the items above have been plugged in, well, to anything, so weather related damage is out.

Anyone have an idea?? Other things I could try?

Thanks in advance gang!!

2. Ummm...if the bass is active, have you tried replacing the batteries?

3. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    OP said he tried 2 different bats + even on a dead battery it should make some noise. My guess is that the solder connected to the volume may have come undone? if you havent already you should take a peek in the control plate and see whats up - make sure all the solders are in place and not loose or off.

4. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    Thanks, I've got to cover off so I'll poke around and see if I can find anything. Oddest part is that it has sat idle since the last time I played.

5. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    Well, nothing is loose as far as I can tell. No stray wires and all the solder contacts seem strong. I'm stumped, and freaking out, it's an only child!! I don't have a back up! :bawl:

6. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    Endorsing Artist: Knucklehead Strings
    Had the same problem once, it ended up being the volume pot. If you have an Ohm meter check it. Also, check your input jack, it is possible that a wire has just come loose.

7. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    Thanks for the suggestion. The idea of a bad pot did cross my mind, but well after the fact. I don't have a meter but might be able to get my hands on one. Hopefully I can get this debugged soon!

8. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    The pot in my bass went out when i was playing. I hit a note and the sound just disappered.

9. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    Ah, I see! Thanks, oi pride, that puts me a little more at ease. My band mate has an Ohm meter, so it looks like I'll have a little weekend project now.

10. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    No, problem. Also, be sure to check the jack.

11. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    Well, my friend and I dug through the electronics, checking connections and what not. Used his meter and couldn't get any kind of signal out of it, which we thought was odd.

After a while, he pulls the battery and checks it (mind you, I tried 2 different brand-new batteries), and it's pulling about 5 volts. Not the strongest, but you'd think it would do something. Anyhow, he grabs one of his own batteries...and it works just fine.

Okaaaaaay.... I feel rather sheepish and somewhat angry. It doesn't make any sense! I bought a 4 pack of name-brands about 6 months ago; replaced the one in my bass, used another for one of the kids' toys, and kept the other two. NONE of them work now?!? Believe me, we tried to come up with every reason why they would be dead and nothing adds up.

Anyhow, that's my story. Sorry that it was anti-climatic. Still wondering if there still isn't something else wrong, but at this point it works and that's all that matters. Thanks everyone for looking and for the suggestions.

12. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    Damn dude. Well glad to hear it was only the batteries.

13. Just out of curiosity, how do you store your batteries? If you live in a hot climate, the batteries will degrade due to the heat. Try storing them in the freezer, it keeps them fresh for a long time.

14. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    To be honest, they were in a bit of a "junk drawer" in the kitchen. Most times we store batteries in a closet away from electronics and such; dry, dark, etc. I wouldn't exactly call Ohio a hot climate...aside from this summer!...but I've never tried the freezer trick. Suppose it's possible there was something in the drawer that drained them, but I haven't figured out what.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, you mean a junk drawer where someone might toss a used battery because she didn't want to contaminate the environment by throwing it in the trash, leaving it up to someone else to properly dispose of it at a later time? That kind of junk drawer? Or the kind of junk drawer in which a metal object shorts across the battery terminals, nearly starting a fire, but not quite?

16. GreatScott91

GreatScott91

Apr 14, 2010
    NE OH
    Munji, no disrespect by any means, but I'm hoping there was a bit of a sarcasm font used there!

I mean a drawer that is most often the black hole of "I have no idea where to store this item, so it goes here". Besides, I put them in the drawer, not the wife or anyone. The drawer itself is mostly junk that I accumilate, which is a wide, odd array of things; not just metal objects. The batteries were still in that rectangular plastic container doohickey that 9volts are usually packaged. But yes, it's still very possible something could have shorted them out. I was actually wondering if there wasn't a magnet close by (not sure if it would/could screw up a battery, but hey, it's the only theory I have at the moment). Had a bicycle computer and magnet in the same drawer, not far away.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not sarcasm, but mirth. I, too, have that drawer.

18. oi_pride

oi_pride

Jul 2, 2009
    concord, nc
    I think everyone has "that drawer", and when i moved and had to empty it i now have "that box" and a new "that drawer."