1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No sound...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, May 14, 2006.

1. So I'm borrowing my friend's Ibanez SR3005 that he hasn't played for about a year now and I can't get any sound out of it. There is a fresh battery (and I've tried others too just to make sure it wasn't a dud) and when on the tuner it reads the G string loud and clear, but it won't read any other strings. When I plug it into the amp if I hit the G real hard it makes a slight hint of noise, but only on that string.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? It's just been sitting in a closet and it was working fine before.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Could be the pre-amp or the jack. Did you open the cavity and check to see if any wires came loose?

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Well, it could be a couple of things. It could be a bad solder joint. It could have dead pickups. It could have a bad pot somewhere. Chances are it's something simple, though.

Try this. Plug it in and hit an open string and turn every knob and see if you get any noise. If not, try opening up the back and looking for any loose wires.

4. Maybe you broke a wire or accidentally shorted something while you were changing the battery. It has happened to me once or twice on basses with active circuits.

Just in case something got a little crusty while the bass was sitting, spend a minute twisting all the pots and flipping all the switches too.

Good luck,
    S

5. I cleaned the entire thing before I even tried to play it. I also checked the wiring and it all looks good as far as I can see it. I suppose I'll look it over again in the morning, I can barely see straight right now.

If anyone has any other suggestions please throw them out.

-Tyler

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Well, if you didn't want our opinion, you could have just said so... :bag:

7. I never said I didn't. I was simply asking for more for it I can't find anything wrong with what was suggested and or if I've tried it.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know. I was making a joke by taking what you said completely literally.

I know what you were saying... :p

9. I hate you...:p

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    For starters, posting in the right forum, perhaps? ;)

Moved.

11. Thanks HD.

12. Try plugging the bass in and opening the control cavity. While plucking a string, use something non-conductive like a pencil to move the wires around a little. Listen for crackling or intermittent signal. This sometimes narrows down the problem to a confined circuit or wire. Stan

13. Finally got a chance to look at it today and it is the connection to the battery. Going to take it to school tomorrow and have my computer tech teacher re-solder the wire that was off (and barely touching the terminal). :):) I'm happy.