Noise going from Roland amp to Zoom multitrack

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nedmundo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    For home recording, I use a Zoom MRS-8 digital multitrack, and I've always gotten good results with guitar and bass going direct. I recently got a Roland Cube 60 guitar amp, partly for its built-in effects I thought would be good for recording. It's similar to the Roland Cube 100 bass amp.

It has six effects divided between two knobs, which the intensity or speed of each effect varying with knob position. One controls chorus, phaser, flanger, and tremolo. The second has reverb and delay.

The reverb/delay effects record fine, but I get clipping-like distortion whenever I try to record with the effects on the other knob, usually chorus or trem. They sound great through the amp's speaker or headphones, and I use the headphone out for recording (it's labeled as a headphones/recording out), so I don't think it's an output problem. Reducing the input gain and switching the input between mic and instrument settings doesn't seem to help. If I turn off the effects, but leave all other settings alone, it's fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.