1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noise problem on boss chorus CE-2B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by txl, Nov 14, 2006.

1. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    I just get a boss chorus CE-2B which brand new in a low price,
    but there seems has some problem in it,
    there is some strange noise like"woowooo" when i plug them in my chain,
    but if i not plug them in my chain, just direct plug it from the bass and to the amp, there will not having any noise...

I already try to put it at the last of my chain, but the noise still occur....do anyone tried this b4?

here is my chain now:
    Fender Jazz -> Boss GEB-7 -> Boss Chorus CE-2B -> PF -> BDDI -> Amp

2. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    I found the problem, it seems because of the power supply.
    I use a AC power to connect all the pedal,
    it no problem with others, but it got problem on the CE-2B.
    BEcause i found that when i use 9V battery on the CE-2B, there is not noise when it is in the chain...

and i found that seems it is use ACA power supply instead of other Boss using PSA..

What is the difference between this 2 power supply?
    And is it possible to use 1 AC apdater to connect both PSA and ACA pedals?

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The ACA was an unregulated power supply. It's not exactly very safe to use with modern pedals, but it was the old standard. The PSA is a regulated power supply, like most other modern power supplies.

I can't imagine there being any problems with using the PSA instead of the ACA - I believe their plugs are the same, and the basic voltage is the same (9V).

Anyone out there with second opinions?

4. last thing first, yes!

Now, an AC power supply (as opposed to ACA) is no good for powering any pedal. You need a DC supply, preferably regulated and well filtered.

For the most part, you'll be fine with a PSA, however, there are some pedals that will misbehave if they don't get there designated ACA supply. Cross that bridge when you come to it, until then, use a PSA or equivalent.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah, but if I understand him correctly he's saying he has in fact gotten to that bridge: the pedal was producing a weird woo-woo noise when connected to a Boss PSA, and the sound went away when using a battery instead.

I recall the manual for the VL Pedal Power II saying that ACA was positive-tip, as opposed to the negative tip standard PSA. If it wasn't the polarity, I'm not sure what, but four of the dip switches on the Pedal Power select "ACA" settings. I'll check the manual when I get home.

The operational noise of the internal LFO could indeed be audible if the ground polarity was reversed, especially if it was daisy-chained with other (negative-tip) pedals.

6. Yeah, could be, it's not entirely clear whether txl meant to say ACA when he said AC either. And it's hard to guess which woo woo noise he's talking about!

My Boss DM-2 for example works perfectly when connected to a PSA type supply, but the LED doesn't light up. Makes it kinda hard to use!

7. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    actually i think this is quite strange...
    how come it can operate with a PSA power supply but it has big noise..
    the noise is even big enough to cover the chorus sound...

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It turns out I was mistaken about the polarity; the difference is in the voltage level, and whether a limiting resistor is in line after the DC jack.
    http://www.cioks.com/faq/faq.htm#difference
    Basically, if your ACA pedal was made prior to 1997, there is a resistor which takes the 12VDC output of the ACA adapter and reduces it down to 9VDC. So if you try to power the pedal with a 9VDC PSA adapter, the voltage will be reduced down to around 6 or 7 volts. Enough to power the circuit barely, but not enough for the LED. I'm not sure why that would make it so noisy, but it's still not a good situation.

You'll need to either use a power supply that is designed to power ACA pedals, or have someone modify your pedal to accept the PSA voltage.

9. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    ya, i check the site already.

The only method i think is get a ACA adapter ONLY for my CE-2B...
    but it make my case more heavy for carrying out :crying:

Can a ACA power supply also use for PSA pedals?
    if it is possible i can just change my current PSA power supply to ACA power supply.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    No.

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If Bongomania's right, then no. You could damage your current pedals with an ACA power supply.

Sounds like you'd have to get a separate adapter. Why not just replace your CE-2B with a different chorus pedal? I'm sure something out there will meet or exceed what you need in a chorus pedal. Why not try the CEB-3? Or even a non-Boss pedal? It doesn't have to specifically be a "Bass Chorus" to work fine on bass.

12. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
  13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    That's the power supply I use! I've never had any problems with it, but... the only reason why I didn't suggest it was because of Bongomania's comment on the limiting resistor found in older Boss pedals.

The noise issue might be caused by something else. It could be something wrong with the pedal's adaptor input, if it works fine with a battery.

14. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    ya, but the power supply said it can support ACA pedal, so even the old boss pedals got limiting resistor, it should also works fine...

Just guess..

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You should contact the manufacturer (Visual Sound) to find out if it supports older ACA units. As it said in that article I linked, modern ACA pedals since 1997 take 9VDC just like the PSA ones, so it makes sense that the One-Spot would work for those newer ACA's. Good luck with that!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020