Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy input Jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Mar 6, 2004.

1. I bought a SX Fretless Jazz in October,and it has given me little to no problems. Well...I've been having a small problem with it since a little while ago. The problem is that whenever I move around the input jack(like just now...I moved the cable) It'll make a loud buzzing sound. It won't stop until I move the cable around some more. I checked the input jack and it's tight(to the control plate). However,I can wiggle the input itself around. :meh:

Anyone know how I can fix this ? thank you

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Duct Tape.

3. There should be a thin nut or something similar that you should be able to tighten. Course it may not be your input, it could be the cable itself, I've done one cable and and another is starting to crackle on me (pretty good cables I think, California ones by Fender).

Josh D

4. It's not the cable...I play with the same cable on another bass and I have no problems

5. This happens with my Digitech BP200...it could be a loose connection...take the control plate off and have a look at the soldered connection...if its loose get a soldering iron and some solder and fix it up...if you dont fell confident doing that take it to your music shop and they should be able to fix it

6. BassThing

BassThing

Mar 4, 2004
    UK
    Firstly make sure that the jack itself is clean. Then take the control plate off and clean the contacts on the socket. It's likely that there's some corrosion on there causing the crackling/buzzing. You could always treat yourself to a gold plated jack socket to eliminate the corrsion problem.

7. Could also be a poor solder job on the jack. Often if the earth/shield of the balanced cable is stripped back to far and touches the positive of the jack it can cause that sound. When you move the cable around it dislodges the shorting out.

:D:D

Merls