Noisy Quiver! help me get it quiet?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by SeayBass, Feb 19, 2018.

1. SeayBass

SeayBass Supporting Member

Hi all,
    I took off my tailpiece last year, and have been playing without tailpiece. It seems to have opened my bass up and improved response, especially with the bow. It was tight before, and small, so I'm always trying to soften the feel and increase the bigness in sound.

I built my 'tailpiece cord system' out of very strong synthetic rope. It's basically the same thing as the Marvin Tailpiece using vectran rather than steel cable. When I say rope, you'll probably imagine something 1/4" thick, but this rope is 2mm thick (1/12"), so it's about the size of the strings. It's easy to do if someone wants to try it out. What I can't say is how long it will last. It's been on a bout a year now, with no issues. On paper the cordage I chose is superior to steel for stretch, breaking strength, and it won't scratch the bass's top. But I digress...

Anyway, I use a quiver. I do. I don't want to go without a quiver- I play a lot of different styles, and the quiver is, for me, indispensable. BUT I would love some help and advice on how to keep it from creaking. It can be a pain when tied to a big wooden tailpiece, and it's much more challenging to tie it quietly on my bass without the wooden tailpiece. At present, I use suede lace to tie it. I see the Marvin system uses an adhesive felt to enclose the tailpiece which I suppose quiets the lines.

Any tips and advice welcome. Thanks in advance!
    oh and if you want more info on the tailpiece I built, I can share that too.

2. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    I broke the leather ties on my quiver, and replaced them with paracord to tie it off the tailpiece of course. I suppose you could incorporate some of that to rig it.

3. DanL

DanL

Jul 5, 2016
    Ohio
    Can you post a pic of your "rope tailpiece" ?

4. SeayBass

20180309_155751.jpg

5. SeayBass

as far as quieting the quiver, I've concluded that a little foam would go a long way. I did retie the lower knot in the tailpiece system to a lower position which allowed me to anchor the bottom quiver to that knot. That was the only way to keep it from slipping up-down. Now it's side-to-side that makes noise, which is much less of a headache.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022