Non dedicated guitar player

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cosmodrome, May 15, 2004.

1. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    hi everybody,

i play in a rock-band and we have 2 guitarplayers. both of them aren't anything special but when they play together they do reasonably well.
    We've been practising for a year now and we've got a few gigs lined up in june.

the problem is that one of the guitar players is always difficult when it comes to practising. most of the cancellations r because of him (busy social life, girlfriend etc). i've already told him that he has to get his priorities straight but it didn't really compute. we're now wondering what to do.

2. This morning, I was taking out my garbage, and I tripped over a guitar player.

He can be replaced.
    If he's a friend, you can always use "I realize that you've really just been in this band to fulfill your commitment, we're going to find someone with more time to dedicate to the band, in order to progress..."

He leaves with dignity, and y'all find a new guitar player.

They're out there, I swear.
  3. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    thnx aaron, i'll problably use that tonight.
  4. Yah, I agree with Aaron. Be nice about it and start looking for someone else (not behind his back).

I've had band members totally switch around when they realized they were wasting our time.
  5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just talk to the guy and be honest about it. If he's your bud he'll understand. Maybe he's just doing this to fulfil a sense of commitment, and he might be looking for a way out without pissing people off. Maybe he doesn't realize the level of commitment required, or how serious you guys are about the band. Neither you or he will ever know what the issue is or how to solve it if you don't take the time to talk about it and clarify what needs to be done.
  6. I don't know your level of playing but I don't like to rehearse unless absolutly needed (new band, new tunes, studio, special gig etc.). I will gladly practice the music on my own and have it ready for the gig. I have kids and family and don't want to f around while others try and remember words and figure out how to play their instrument. They should be doing it at home.

Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh I used to go to great lengths to make practice and yes I was pissed when others wouldn't show. And those who didn't show usually didn't practice either.

Have your parts down cold and know the music (not just your part), you don't need others to teach you and use them as a crutch. Use a tape recorder and a pencil so you won't forget the music and need rehearsal to remind you of what you forgot. Use a metronome and be able to play tunes repeatedly without mistakes .

7. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i've been playing for about 10 yrs now so i know my way around a bassguitar. i've been in a couple of bands and did a few gigs. the guys i play with have never been in bands. i'm trying not to act like the 'experienced' professor but sometimes i can't help it. learning new songs is relatively easy for me compared to them. so progression is slow but steady.

just think the non dedicated gp is slacking.

oh, and that sneaky sob brought his girl to rehearsal on monday so i couldn't give him any crap but he'll get the full load on monday.
  8. well, I have guitarist friends who dun practice as well! But we are not in the stage of having gigs yet, just jamming together and have fun.

So what I do is just to play together with other more dedicated guitarists!

Well, depends on the songs selection, most rock songs are easier to learn for the bassist than the guitarist, some rock songs have killer guitar solo, but most rock songs have repetitive bass line!

Oh yeah, since I am complaining abuot guitarist, I think guitarists get bored sooner too!
  9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    he'd already have been sacked if that was my band - it'll only cause more grief later down the line otherwise
  10. Is band practice a good place to do it? And before or after practice? It should definitely be done in person, I know that. Any tips?
  11. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    In general (not just with musicians), I'd say get used to it, and be glad(?) you can have this opportunity to practice dealing with it, because you'll probably have to do it again. And again... and.. :p

But really, do what you know you have to do, and good luck. Don't let it get you down.

12. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    thnx for ur input leanne but i don't get that one. anyone who plays in a band with me better be serious about it. i don't like slackers and he's a sloppy & lazy gp too.
    the fact is, i don't WANT to deal with it. 3 strikes (or a couple more) and ur out.
  13. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Like your band, my band has 2 guitar players that are very dedicated to the band. They are both very talented but tend to disagree with myself and sometimes eachother (not a big deal), so it always takes a straight-forward talk to get through to them. Nowadays things have settled down and we all mostly agree, but you always have to be straight-forward with band members. Don't beat around the bush and let him figure it out on his own.

Basically tell him that you and the rest of the band are taking this thing seriously. VERY seriously. Although your not saying he isn't either, he is hurting the band with the cancellations that are due to him. Again, just be straight-forward with him.
  14. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    oh, by "dealing with it" I meant kicking his ass out.
  15. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i'd like to kick him out but we've got a few gigs lined up and i can't think of any gp i know that can learn 25 songs or so in 3 weeks. btw, that sob again brought his girl to practise last night so we couldn't do anything. i've already told the rest that want his ass out.
  16. man, i know what u mean, im goin through the same stuff right now with my band, the lineup is drums guitar guitar bass and were all very good except for this one guitarist who used to be good back in the day, but just kind of started sucking after awhile and ive become very good friends with him so its super hard to deal with and hes a good kid and all but i just want the band to make more progress and ive done all i can but its just not working ive got no clue what to say to him, and it sucks cuz its hard and i dont have the heart to be a dick about it, any suggestions/direct quotes to say to him?
  17. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    well bassoptimus, i made a joke last practise about taking him outside and if i won he'd be there more often and become a better gp and that i wouldn't lose because i'm stronger than him and whatdayaknow? it worked!

we had a sit down after practise and without saying anything i guess he felt the message. we have a gig in 2 weeks and we have to practise 3x a week before that. he didn't object to anything cause i think he knew that he would get in trouble if he had. he's been practising too!

i find that a joke with a semi-serious undertone tends to work.

i was pretty pissed off at him but he's a fun guy to have around.