1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

non fender copy essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justin89, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    does anybody have any experiences with SX basses that are not fender copies?
    ive had my eye on a few, just wondering if they are the same "bang for the buck" quality as the fender copies.

2. I've always wondered what they're like too since you rarely see them mentioned. Especially the SX BG-204's. The Beatle basses I've heard are okay and not bad for a Hofner copy, but they're actually Douglas basses.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The only non-fender SX basses I have tried are these:
    S4010353.
    The one on the left is fretless
    They are copies of the defunct Bass Collection line. In addition to loving them, I found a used original Bass Collection in Victor Litz, which I bought so I could take it home and do a proper comparison. SX did a good job! I guess that's why Bass Collection (or whoever owns the rights) had no problem licensing their copy!

I have a friend who loves his BG-204, but he has not been playing bass long (has played guitar a few years though) and it is his first bass, so take that for what it's worth.

Short answer, I have NEVER bought an SX where I didn't think I got more than my money's worth, and I've bought a few (8 basses AND 9 guitars). :cool:

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried some of them a few years ago when I visited their old New Jersey store. They were very nice! The acoustic was fair at best, but the electric I tried is recommended! I was very impressed by the BG-204 that I tried.