1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noob question about coil tapping

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by guamaniantree, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I know that with a humbucking pick-up(with the right wiring) you can select either coil separately or both together, But is it possible to get a humbucker to be like a P-bass Pick-up? By that i mean select the first two of the neck coil and the opposite two of the bridge coil.
    And is it possible to have one pick-up do all 7 of those configurations with a switch or something?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Delano quad-coils come to mind, if you're up for the wiring headache.

3. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    If I understand you correctly, you want a MM with four coils, and want to tap it diagonally. i.e. four coils ::, tapped .' or '. instead of :

This would depend on how the magnets were arranged. Some configurations would lead to hum-aiding instead of cancelling.

I haven't tried anything like this myself, but it seems like all of these different possible configurations would sound nearly identical to each other. If I were you I'd stick to at most one coil tap and a series/parallel switch. All of that extra switching won't add much of anything except complexity.