noob question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyler_durden, Apr 9, 2004.

1. tyler_durden

Apr 9, 2004
    Hey all!
    I wanna learn how to play a bass guitar, I mean I think I wanna learn it and not a regular electric guitar. But I don't think I precisely exactly completely know the difference between those two. I only can say for sure that bass guitar sound is deeper, but do they differ in any other thing? :confused:
    And also if somebody could give me some links on some web pages where I can download or listen to sample sounds made by a bass guitar?
    Thanks a lot to anybody who answers!
  2. Clips:

Completely different beasts. The necks are longer/strings thicker etc... 4, 5, and 6 string basses are all common, the brave few have more strings. Most of the time you'll be playing one or two notes at a time max (this doesn't translate into 'easy'). You can solo with a bass, but the BP's main job is to hold the music together: keeping the rhythm going with the drummer and move the music along with the guitarist.

Fine choice in instruments, I have to say!
  3. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Are you serious? Tell ya what... Put any Primus CD in your stereo and crank the volume and you'll hear what a bass sounds like. You could also put in a Rush, King Crimson, John Patitucci, Dream Theater, or Tony Levin CD and here some of the best out there. Just listen for the low-end. If you're new at bass, you want to remember that bass is 'mainly', but not limited to the rhythm of a band.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The main thing is that the strings are a lot thicker and won't julienne your fingers.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Usually guitars have more strings unless you're like John Turner on these boards who own a fine collection of 7stringers (guitars usually have 6), and you'll never get as many ladies as your guitarist :ninja: :smug:
  6. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    Thats why you try to get a really ugly fat guitar player! If you r a fan of jazz as i am then alot of times the guitar player doesnt have many or no parts to play in a song! Gotta love jazz. Dontget me wrong there is some great guitar in jazz but you can have a jazz band without a guita player! But its hard to do it without a bass player or drummer!
  7. tyler_durden

Apr 9, 2004
    Nice joke! :) Inspires so to speak, lol. :)

Yeah, thanks for the link, was helpful. Although it was not quite what I expected... I am personally a big fan of heavy metal, and maybe I'm wrong, but there bass guitar makes totally different sounds than those in those clips. I mean how can I really know which instrument exactly makes the sound, but at least that's what I thought. Maybe I am wrong and what I really need is just an electric guitar??? Or if I'm not, is there any clips that I can listen to with a heavy-metal-type of music performed on bass guitar? Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate any help.
  8. The thirtieth rule of Fight Club is, all badgers present will be eaten.
  9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Why do you need clips? Do you not understand that 99.99999% of CD's have a bass "Sound"? Put a cd in a cd player and listen... Its not that hard... Listen for the deep sounds the LOW notes... The whiney Little Bi*ch you hear is the singer or guitarist (LOL Jk)

But seriously, Just listen to a cd, its that easy...
  10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    bass makes
    the melody in the drums,
    the odd movement on your chest
    you want to stomp your feet or bob your head
    the intro in tool's sober
    you spend more money than the guitarist

bass is bass. you know.. left of the equaliser.
    but something tells me you may want to go to direction of electric guitar...
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Like my man Lemmy says "This is bass!" This is an mp3 clip of the self titled song by Motorhead. Enjoy!
  12. if i were you id take regular guitar lessons... i used to kid myself and think that guitar didnt transfer well to bass but its more like the other way around, i think guitar is harder to play and the skills transfer well to bass... if i had to do it over again i would have took guitar lessons, then again i would have picked a good teacher who didnt do more harm than good
  13. tyler_durden

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks for this link, this is exactly what I mean! :)
    Yeah I hear you guys when you tell me to listen to CDs, of course I do that. But there I can't tell which instrument is producing which sound... It's just a song is like a collection of those sounds and, well, I can play only one instrument, so... Like I was really surprized to know that Apocalyptica "Path vol.2" was performed NOT on a guitar... I mean what I hear may not be what I think it is.
    Anyway, how deep can an electric guitar be? Like, if any of you listen to Korn, Disturbed, Rage against the machine (I'm sure some of you do), what is the major music sound I hear? Is that a bass guitar or a regular electric one?
    Yeah I'm sorry for all the questions, I must seem really dumb. :) But I really appreciate the help.
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You have choosen a really hard genre. In Metal a lot of times the bassist will double the guitar parts an octave lower. So that "wall of sound" is the bass and guitar. Wait for the solo, that will almost always be the guitar on top. The bass will then play something more repetitive underneath to hold everything togeather and keep the guitarist from getting lost ;)
  15. BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    I think of it this way: drums are the beat, bass is the pulse.

Noob: check out for some good learning resources. Also the forums on might be better for the noobee. Good luck and welcome the bottomfeeder community.

16. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    DING DING DING! We have a winner!