1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noob question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Franco77, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    So i have a question, i never had taken a lesson on music theory, and i have this doubt:

So if i'm playing a D
    the 5th is A
    the 3rd is F
    what about the others?(2nd, 4th, 6th,7th, etc.)

Also if you know of a book or something like that to get me started in theory and composition it would be very nice.

thanks in advance

2. LowEndLove

LowEndLove

Aug 4, 2012
    Studybass.com check it out. Do the lessons.

3. Google the Major Scale. It is probably the most important thing you will learn in regards to music.

4. The notes of the D major scale: D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D.
    Line up the numbers with the note names, and you are all set.
    Root = D
    2nd = E
    3rd = F#
    And so on.

However, you noted that the 3rd was an F. In that case, you would be in D minor.
    The notes of the D minor scale: D, E, F, G, A, B flat, C, D ...

As my teacher says.... Know your thirds!

5. Couple of noob charts - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f22/learning-read-music-907867/ post # 10.

Print these charts off and put them with your reference material. Too much to remember right now, but, information worth keeping.

Good luck.

EDIT - yes to printing the theory link in mambo4's post. The best theory paper I've seen. First 30 pages covers the basics. This should be in your reference material file.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    +1000
    Everything in music theory is essentially described in terms of how it compares to the major scale. You need to learn its intervals and chords inside and out.

See also the theory PDF link in my sig, I linked it there because It's very solid intro to Theory.
    The stuff in the "basic" section is practically all of the theory you need to understand to be useful.

(The rest of theory is mostly useful for arguing in TB threads about theory)

7. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    Sorry about the late reply, thanks bros!