1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand NJ4SE vs Dimarzio Model J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Hi there,

I have a 2011 Am Std Jazz bass that I keep wrestling with in terms of getting a tone I like and can use out of. I like the tone at home but in a band setting it either has too many mids and not enough bass or too much bass and not enough mids, although the Audere JZ3 drop-in plate installed has sorted most of that out.

I've found the stock pickups to be lacking lows and a nice midrange. It has a great bite to it in the treble. Also, I'm not a fan of single coil hum.

I've already had Dimarzio Model J's in there but I found them to be a bit too murky/lacking in treble. I used 500k pots but still didn't get the highs/bite I wanted.

I'm wondering if the NJ4SE is more what I'm after; I'd like punchy lows, a growly midrange with some good treble bite. Quite an aggressive tone that would suit a rock mix but can be a little polite.

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I use nj4se's in my fretless J. They are plenty bright for my tastes but they are not as bright as the other nordies are. I like them because they seem to have a bit more low mids to them than some other J pickups without losing any definition/clarity. I certainly hav enever found them to be "murky".

Plus the lack of top end isn't a drawback for me as I am using them in a fretless where I don't need that icepicky twank.