1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand NP4 help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chris Breese, Nov 1, 2006.

1. I have a Yamaha BB414 and decided that my Nordstrand NP4 needed to replace the existing Yamaha P pickup. The Yamaha P sounds good, and is nice blended with the bridge pickup, but doesn't sound enough like a P for me. I had this NP4 laying around, so I put it in.

The wiring configuration is vol/tone/3 way switch. I installed the NP4 and, of course, it sounds great, but when blended with the bridge pickup (switch in middle position - both pickups on full) the tone turns really thin, and it almost seems like the two pickups are cancelling each other out. Not good.

What could be causing this? Is there any way to solve this problem?

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Switch wires the two wires on your P pickup. Sounds like they are out of phase with each other.

3. Oh! That sounds easy enough! Thanks for the help!

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just got a NP4 and it blows! I wired it into my Walnut Precision Special and I get really nasty hum and the sound is thin. Do you think the wires are crossed?

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    There should not be a polarity Issue with a single pickup unless it is a three wire pickup. And the NP-4 is not. I installed An Np-4 in my MIM p-Bass and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Does your tone control work? Is it possible you unsoldered the capacitor when you hooked up the pickups?

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've installed 3 other pickups in this bass over the past several weeks (Dimarzio Split P, Duncan 1/4 lbr., Bartolini) and none of these had any hum issue. Is it possible the black and white wires are switched up?

7. could be defective? Unlikely, but I suppose it's possible...