1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand PJ pickups on a Fender??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RobStras, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Buy the Ibanez 5-string

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Buy the Nordstrand Pickups separate

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. RobStras

RobStras

Apr 5, 2018
    Hey all,

My Name is Rob and this is my first post on this forum! I played this Ibanez 655 at the store recently and really enjoyed its sound. I loved just how tight everything was and how clear it was in general. I was thinking, before I make the decision to buy this, since I already have a PJ Fender Deluxe, should I just install Nordtrand PJ pickups into my Fender instead of going out and buying this brand new instrument (Ibanez 655) If so how could I go about doing this?

My thought is that I already own a PJ bass, so why get another one? on the other hand, I feel like this Ibanez 655, even though it still has PJ pickups, has a totally different sound to it in general. Plus that 5th string. To be totally honest, I don't know if the Nordstrand PJ pickups would be compatible with my Fender PJ...

upload_2018-4-5_14-10-16.
    Ibanez 655
    upload_2018-4-5_14-10-51.
    Fender PJ Deluxe

Basically If I can get away with putting Nordstrand PJ pickups in my 4 string Fender, I'll be happy, but if you guys think it's worth going out and buying a whole new instrument then I think I'm ready to commit to that too.

2. The Fender won't sound just like the Ibanez, different woods, preamp, etc.
    I also like the natural finish of the Ibanez better.

RobStras likes this.
  3. RobStras

RobStras

Apr 5, 2018
    Yeah there are a lot of other factors that go into it. The finish on the Ibanez is for sure a big contributing factor to the sound... or lack there of a finish haha.

PawleeP likes this.
  4. I would think you'd want a BTB if you go for a 5er Ibanez. They have a 35" scale, while the SR series is 34" scale.
    The only thing is they don't use Nordstrand pickups.

I love the sound of my Ibanez Premium SR, but it's not a P/J, two Nordstrand Big Singles instead.

PawleeP likes this.
  5. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    wonderin how good those ibby preamps stack up against a audere (in a jazz for example)?
    sorry to stray a little off topic. p

6. RobStras

RobStras

Apr 5, 2018
    Hmmmm I'm for sure going to listen in on the difference between these basses. I'm curious to play them side by side and see what they sound like. It'll probably be worth it to do some more research before making a purchase.

I play in a jam band, but i also play funk music and rock and roll and such. So the range of the things I play is quite broad.

I really like those nordstrand pickups, I might try and fight to keep on that track, but I'm not stubborn, ya know?

7. phasebash

phasebash

Jun 26, 2018
    I have the same Fender Precision Deluxe as mentioned by the OP and have been going down the same rabbit hole. J pickup is not balanced well against the P which overwhelms it in every circumstance. The P pickup has a Woof to it on the E string that isn’t all that great. Still a great bass.

If I could get a deeper and clearer P and a more well balanced J bridge pickup I’d be happy.

I’m looking in to the Aguilar set and the Bartolini Classic Bass.

Edit: Forgot to mention this before, but if you haven't already played around with your pickup height (setup) I recommend you do so. After some fiddling tonight I could get things to a reasonably balanced state.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Killed_by_Death likes this.