1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NOS Telefunken Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by weeks82, Dec 8, 2006.

1. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    I recently had a preamp sold to me that was said to have NOS telefunken 12ax7's in it. I opened it up and had a look at the tubes and they don't say Telefunken on them. They just have some numbers (ill update this soon with anything i can read on them) So my questions is did I get screwed on this or did old Telefunken tubes not clearly say Telefunken on them ? Thanks for any and all help.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    the screen printing rubs off fast on those things. Look at the bottom, in the center of the pins and molded into the glass, you should see a <> with a number in between if it's legit.

3. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Thanks! It looks like 2 of the 3 are Telefunken.

4. I'll second the lettering thing, as far as NOS telefunkens, the logo rubs off in about 20 seconds of handling it if you actually touch it. Luckily, Teles had very distinguishing marks on them (diamonds, etc) so they're easy to tell. It's like RCA and the stop sign around the tube name.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Some of the Telefunkens were even labeled with different brand names. As long as the diamond is there on the bottom between the pins, it should be a Telefunken.