1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not cutting Through the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by woody357, Sep 27, 2008.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Ok, I am going to be a lil long winded here. I need a bass that will cut through the band. I use a Schecter Elite 5, and it has served me well, but last night I noticed that I had to turn up more to cut through the bands sound. I like to use the bridge pu and blend the neck pu in for more bass, but I don't get much punch, bass or volume. I need something more aggressive, but don't have a lot of money. I have looked at a Ibanez srx705, but i heard a guy last night with one and it was too bassie the highs rang out when he would slap and pop, but i could not make out any of the other notes. I play with different types of bands from Funk/Rock, R&B, Jazz, and Classic rock. I like the sound of the Music Man Bongo5 but I don't have $1700. Any suggestion?

2. Dudaronamous

Dudaronamous Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Bothell, WA
    have you tried adjusting the eq on your amp and bass? Boost the mids, cut the lows. Ask the guitarists to cut the lows on their amps. Lots of threads about this subject on TB. Good luck!

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Sometimes it's not the bass. If you check on the amp section your will see a lot on cutting through the mix. A lot of bassists on this site solved the problem by changing to Schroeder cabs. (including myself)

Also my Grendel 5 had the same problem till I changed to DR LowRider Stainless strings. Made a big difference in growl and cut.

Is your Schecter passive? A Sansamp BDDI might help if it is.

Last question...what is your amp rig?

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You could probably make your current bass work with creative EQ. How do you have the EQ set on the bass? Also, how is the EQ set up at your amp? These could be adjusted to help you cut through more. Also, remember that a tone that is pleasing when you are playing by yourself might not cut through a band. Conversely, a sound that seems a bit harsh or unpleasing when soloed might sound great in the mix.

OTOH, if you are determined to get another bass, I would consider a Fender Jazz of some sort. They have all kinds of options under $1000 and the general tone of the bass cuts right through the busiest mix.

5. mikedarctuesday

mikedarctuesday

Sep 16, 2008
    OCNJ
    If you dig the sound of your bass tone and don't want to sacrifice changing it than you should try out a sonic maximizer. It brings sound frequencies to the same wavelength and projects all notes to the same consistency, which in turn will bring you through the mix. Be careful of your speakers though, it's easier to blow them out with a maximizer, maybe a compressor-limiter with it will do the trick.

p.s. How do you get rid of a sunburn? Aloe?

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Huh?

7. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

What Dude said:
    Cut the lows, boost the mids. Simple as that.

... and in my experience (I have owned both), either a BBE Sonic Maximizer or a Sansamp BDDI will make your tone *more* likely to get buried in the mix, and would be counter productive in your case.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +100.

Especially on the guitars cutting the bass on their setups. It won't really make a difference in their FOH sound but will help you cut through 'cuz they won't be stepping on your frequencies.

For the eq, the amp is the place to start. What's your rig? How about adding another cab with different speakers than you have now.

What's the guitarist's rig(s)?

9. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Buried in the mix with a BDDI? Then one must be doing something wrong, I tend to really cut through more efficiently! (I have the behringer rip-off, but it's the same deal we're talkin' about)

To the OP, I don't know what kind of tone you prefer, a twang' like Duff McKagan or some deep reggea motown stuff. I recommend boosting your mids, especially the higher mids.

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Fix the mix. Obviously the rest of the band is drowning you out. +1 on Stumbo's suggestion to cut the bass from the guitars. If they want to play bass, tell 'em you can work elsewhere.

The acoustic instrument should set the overall band volume. Usually that's the drum kit.

Cut the electric instrument volume till the drummer is setting the band level. If you still can't be heard, then consider a change to your amp.

Making your amp louder without balancing the band mix is folly.

11. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I use a GK 800rb head with a Yorkville xc115 cabinet, and for added punch i have a Hartke VX410. If it is a outdoors gig without PA support I use the Hartke with my Acoustick 301 cab, and or my GK 800rb, or my Acoustic 370 head. I can get loud, but that is not what i'm looking for.

12. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    +1..........Bands often have a poor balance set that blend all the instruments properly. Music is not about who is the loudest.

13. impossible, 2 notes at the same wavelength would be the same notes....

14. +1 on the mix...

best fix is a $10 pair of diagonal cutters...use them to cut the guitarists' strings ;) :D

15. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Just the nature of the beast... deadhorsebeat_4.

16. Cutting through the mix is a one sided coin. A band I followed in the 80s had a "lead" bassist with an acoustic guitarist and heavy handed drummer. Hard rock with a grinding electric bass might need a bright tube head to shine through and be pronounced...I've played in basements were my amp that is just underpowered can't be heard or my amp is just too bass heavy just kills the tone because of acoustics so sometimes its like tuning an engine you have to start with quiet communication and build your way up to the big boy sounds that will all work together.

17. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Post of the year. This is zen.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you're loud enough, then it's your eq and/or the mix (or both).

Maybe you want to go wireless so you can go FOH to hear how you fit in the mix and make adjustments from there.

19. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    I will assume that the night you are referring to wasn't the first night you played your schecter with the band. What you imply is that it's been fine up until the particular night you speak of. That being the case, your issue lies with your amp settings, the overall mix, and even possibly the strings. I play my Elite-5 in a loud rock band w/ 2 guitars, & keys, and cut right through. I even have less speaker power than you..

20. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

FYI - The fantasy description of how the Sonic Maximizer works has been a long running joke in the Pro Audio business for many years. TOTAL JOKE!

The SM is a large fixed LF boost and a dynamic HF boost - the louder the signal the more the boost. Simple as that. This is why you can "blow out your speakers" as was noted. It is also why the SM can sound really harsh.

It was introduced as competition to the Aphex Aural Exciter, which uses harmonics only and cannot blow out your speakers.

Since it does not affect the midrange other than making it seem less, it probably does not help in cutting through a mix.