Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Not getting the Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AstralTraveler, Aug 25, 2004.

1. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    I was intending on trading by maple neck P-bass for my cousin in Tenn maple neck Jazz bass. Both Amer. Now she says that her son wants to play so she's gonna give it to him and get him some lessons. Oh well. So I'm stuck with the P-bass and I really really like the looks of it (much more so that the Jazz) but I want a tighter, punchier, clearer sound for Chris Squire type pick playing. I really love the sound of Ricks but the looks and the neck through thing isn't me. One of the reasons I like Fenders so much is the maple neck look with the classic shaped body. Steve Harris' blue 80's Precision looks great to me, just beautiful. But I want the sound to be alot more up front and a bunch more punchier. Like Chris Squire. I don't want it to sound exactly like a Rick, because I know that's not possible. But I do have faith that I can make it Punchier and more up front sounding. I keep thinking of getting an EMG P pickup, but I've heard that they're lacking mids and sound hollow. Others I've thought about were the Duncan Hot P bass and the Quarter Pound. So far using stainless steel Rotosound Swingbass strings has helped alot but I still need more punch. Any suggestions?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have played a P with the Duncan Quarter pounder, sounded closer to a Entwistle type sound with fingers, but I can't comment about pick style as I didn't try that on that bass.

I imagine with that pickup, a pick, and the correct eq, you could get the sound you are hearing in your head.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Tell your cousin that her son wants the P bass more.