Not sure if this where this should go (shipping questions)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pgnbstrd, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Not sure if this is the right spot, so Mods, feel free to move if you deem it unfit.

To those of you who have sold cabs here, or on eBay, who would you recommend for shipping?

I'm looking at doing a trade, and I'm in Michigan the other party is in Colorado. I'm not looking for the the dirt cheapest, but I'm not looking for it to be transported in a 24k limo either.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. redstaraudio

redstaraudio Commercial User

Jan 24, 2008
    Owner, Redstar Audio
    our commercial experience is that FedEx is usually a little cheaper, but not always. cheaper is usually 5%-10%, rarely any more than that. there are many people that swear FedEx causes less damage in transit, but we've not had that experience. in our experiences we've had equal damage by both companies. we use UPS because their pickup schedules and customer service is better for our account.

If you can pack it yourself you'll save money instead of using a UPS store. *HOWEVER* if you let them pack it, and there is damage, your claim will be usually be settled more promptly and for the full value. It all comes down to $$ and risk.

Good Luck!!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've found that FedEx Ground (or Home Delievery) is a better deal (perhaps 20% cheaper). I drop off at a customer counter and am treated better than doing the same with UPS.

4. let me jut say that using the right kind of box and packing materials is the key.

agood study box is what yuo need to use..
    anything 70 pounds or mor will be considered an over goods package and it might be tossed on the slide @ either company. so just pack you merchandise the proper way

5. Thanks guys.. I'm looking into shipping an Eden d410xlt, so it'll be pricey I'm sure. I'll have to give them a call and see what they'll charge to pack it.

6. Just remember to pack it right. I see so many damaged packages that could of been avoided if the package had been packed i the proper way.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I suspect that it will cost at least $50 to have the cabinet packed.

I bought a combo on TalkBass and had FedEx Kinkos pack it to ship it to me. They did a marginal job but fortunately the amp wasn't damaged. I've had other purchases packed professionally and they did an amazingly good job...you're at the mercy of the person doing the packing.

Have them describe to you how they'll pack it...ideally, the cabinet needs to have a couple inches of packing materials between the cabinet and the box on all six sides. And make sure they cover the ports, etc. so that the cabinet doesn't get filled up with the packing materials.

8. cheamo

cheamo

May 19, 2009
    Saskatoon, SK
    UPS, along with some of the horror stories I've seen and heard of destroyed stuff, is really really bad for charging extra fees when it arrives at the door, especially if you're shipping anywhere outside of the U.S. (Canada for me). USPS is usually more initial cost but you never get charged stupid stuff like that after. For shipping from the U.S. to Canada on the receiving I've definitely had the best experiences with Purolator and USPS (Fedex gets very expensive going over the border).

probably didn't care about international at all but there's my $0.02

9. ANd on that note you are also at the mercy of the Loaders and unloaders.

I know this be cause i Am an unloader at ups. and i can tell you that because i have moved plenty of Irregulars(including a couple of Lesly Hammond rotary cabs) so its the same process really through out fedex and ups so yeah.

if you know what you are doing pack it yourself. if yuo dont find someone who does cause i do not like it when a package is dammaged cause that means i have to stop and repair it then get back into my groove of unloading.:mad:

Its a pain doin all that hard work for a puny paycheck. / rant

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021