Not to sure, how, i GOT HERE

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by NOR CAL, Feb 27, 2006.

1. NOR CAL

Feb 16, 2006
    Thats right .... very new to all this

It all started, one year ago I got my 13 year old son a guitar ,He didnt ask for it , i was just thinking one day it would be good for him , to lean something more than ,the damn ..X BOX .
    So now i am his biggest Fan ,he is doing good on it .
    and now he is on his 2nd guitar and and amp#3 ,I tried it
    I couldnt get it ,i think my Darn fingers are just to FAT:bawl:

To be more ,than just the dad that tell him CLEAN YOUR DAMN ROOM, I wanted be more a part of it ,and not be like my dad that never had time ....EVER

So,, two months ago I got a Fender jazz and G.K backeline 15,

so i think thats how i got here ?, so not to let my SON and his dream DIE ,and some of mine .And maybe He will have a Smile on his face when he thinks of me , at the age I am at now ....You never know ,,we can JAM as old men .....that would be GREAT

P.S i need to learn how to play this DAMN thing 1ST LOL:help:

take care GUS
  2. m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Hey Gus, I'm new here, too! well...a new "member" anyway, i've been browsing these forums for a while now. I've been playing for about 7 years now. Anyway - welcome aboard (if i'm qualified to say that)!

I just wanted to say that it's awesome that you're so actively involved in your son's life..and his music, he's gonna look back and appreciate that more than you know. I started on the electric guitar...and after a couple years of that, decided that the bass guitar was right for me. and now here i am 7 years later still playing, and always striving to get better. i've been in several bands, and play pretty much any kind of music (mostly Christian.) just practice....and jam with your boy. check out some other websites and ask lots of questions...the people at this particular forum from what i've read thus far are knowledgable, open and honest and i'm sure the majority of them would be happy to help.
  3. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Concur. Good job.
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Hey Gus, welcome to TalkBass.
    I think it is pretty cool that you are getting into bass for your son. I have to ask you. Are you enjoying playing bass?
    If so that's cool, it doesn't matter how you got onto playing bass as long as you enjoy it.
    I have a soon to be 16 year old that plays bass, drums, and guitar. He and I have fun jamming together and I think he appreciates the time I spend with him. I know soon enough he may not want to spend as much time with me as he used to but I know he will have great memories of our jams and recording sessions. Then of course there are the camping trips, the hockey games...
    Anyway, the time you spend with him doing anything will go a long way. Have fun.:bassist:
    And pretty much anything you want to know about bass can be found here. This is a great bunch of people here and a great forum.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome to the Forum, Nor Cal.

First off, let me congratulate you on your great setup choice. You've got a good, relaible basic setup that should last you a long time and also be very gig worthy too.

As far as learning to play, one of the best things you can do early on is emulate your heros. I see in your profile that you like Geddy Lee. You'll find a lot of people here to talk Rush, but as a beginner, may I suggest paying close attention to other supportive bassists, like McCartney and Bill Wyman. Folks out there have entire music careers where they use no more chops than these two did.

Hope you enjoy TB!
  6. NOR CAL

Feb 16, 2006
    Thank you all for posting :cool:

I have been here for over 6 months , just reading ,
    So i know what to buy ....thank you all for that!

It is very fun ,and hard to play , but I dont think i will ever sell it ,i will have it for the rest of my life :bassist:

I have been only working on the right hand thing right now
    ...up and down the strings

But we are hav'in FUN
  7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Welcome to the forums! Put in goal-focused practice time every day and that bass will become less awkward and difficult to get around on before you even know what's happened!