Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

notes in keys

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dan1305, Mar 5, 2006.

1. could a teacher or anyone who knows the notes in each key list them for me? my teacher has only done a few keys with me but i'd like to know the notes in the other keys as well, thanks

dan

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    To find the notes in a major key, start at the root and follow this pattern:
    whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step.

3. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I think this is something you should do by yourself to really understand the way things work. Someone could list each key for you and you would know the notes but wouldn't really know why those are the notes for a given key.

4. thanks for the help people, tor do you basically mean that what turock is saying is what i should do? im starting to write and play the notes right now anyway, (thanks for that piece of info turock)

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's the pattern, but why are you getting ahead of your teacher. Sometimes there is a reason for what they do. Teachers measure their success by your success if they are any good.
    What's he teaching you C and Am? If so, that's the scales with the naturals and makes it easy to learn the rest.

6. he's taught me G and C so far but only tells me which notes are sharps/flats and lets me find the notes on the fretboard myself, i suppose its good for learning the fretboard but im not getting a good understanding of why it is them notes

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I know why C, there is no sharps or flats, I had an instructor start me out with G too. I don't know why. That pattern he gave you should help it make sense. Start with the root note and it's always the same pattern, just different notes. That will help you learn the fretboad.
    I'm not new at this but I still take lessons, just advanced ones. We're writing songs now. Be patient it gets better.
    He gives me a key, tells me to write 3 or 4 songs and we record one. He plays guitar along with me. It's great while I'm in between bands.

8. C is nice and simple because there are no sharps or flats, but G is easier to play because most people instinctively play up the scale, and there is a G at 'first position' on the E string from which they can start.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That was my thinking, but I didn't know. Thanks!

10. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    The first keys I learned were C, G and F. I guess it's because C is all naturals, G is the first in the cycle of fifths and has only one sharp. Same with F, the first one in the cycle of fourths and has one flat.

dunno...