Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'nother ebay sham

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonly, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    Someone has bid on this, hopefully no one here.
    if everyone posted one thing wrong with this bass, we could hit a second page, or we could just say that it is a vintage neck for $900 with some free parts attached.

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Ok and whats wrong with it? No knobs ($8) and missing one pickguard screw ($.01)... I'd take that bass in a heartbeat!!!

( post # 500!!! reppin the low end biznatches!!!)

3. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Not exactly a sham. Now if this seller was from Indonesia or some funky unfamiliar location and wanted money sent via. Western Union, then yes, it would be a sham. However, it seems to me that this seller has enough creidible positive feedback to dispell any intentions of riping someone off. As far as the price, might be a bargain?

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Looks fine to me too. Spend a couple bucks fixing it up and it's good as new.

-Mark

5. non original tuners, added Badass, non original pg. the strap locks are definatly original. what am I missing?

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't CBS own Fender then? Known for their lack of attention to Fender?

7. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    if it was the year that it stated, it would have the three hole neckheal plate, with an F. There is clearly a stain line on the back of the neck from where the original body was stained without the neck removed.
    anyone?

8. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    That's what I was thinking, I'm far from being an expert on dating Fender's production quirks though. :meh:

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea but he could have added the neckplate.. It looks like the bass was once trashed and an owner rebuilt it.. new bridge, tuners, neckplate..etc.. Just by going with his feedback score, I'd honestly say that it's legit.. just rebuilt. I'm not saying it's worth $3k.. but I don't think I'd call it a sham.

10. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Looks like this was once repainted by a genius for whom a scredriver was beyond comprehension. Unless it is a shadow, the screws on the neck plate clearly show sights of paint around them, and that, along with the paint line on the neck, and scratches on the plate where the paint appears to have been sanded off, make me think that an idiot painted it without taking anything off.
    $900? Hardly. MAYBE if it was pristine, original. But not for a 3 year old's paint work and numerous hacks and dings.

- Tim

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I thought of that.. but if you look at the rest of the body the paint job looks good. I find it hard to believe that the type of person that would make those mistakes, would have a body come out like that. I could be wrong though! around the screws maybe tarnish that didnt come off when he Never Dull'd it.

12. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Or, it was repainted twice - once by the hack, and then again to salvage it. The headstock pictures are pretty clear to me that something was beat to death with this bass at some point. It looks like it clearly lived a hard life at one time or another.

- Tim

13. It's got tuners from a made in Mexico bass.:meh:

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I was a guitar player back then,but when did the start w/ notched tuners, were they around back then?

15. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Now that would be one helluva deal. :)
    ---
    c

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That thing's a mess. I can't imagine getting it and the finish looking good. looks like maybe it got a brush job at some point in time plus lots of replacement parts.

It probably is worth about 900 if the body, neck and pickups are original. What are late 70s jazzes going for these days? 1.5K or so?

17. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    the paint job on the body looks great. I couldn't imagine spending the time or money on the body and not taknig care of the back of the neck as well, and then mounting it with 4 screws on top of all else. It would take quite a bit to convince me that this is the original body at all.

18. what mostly bugs me is the way the tuners are in the pic, i know its silly, but for a pic when you want to sell a bass you should turn the tuners so they are all facing the camera

19. Looks to me like an eairlier Geddy Lee with a vintage neck thrown on. There is no finish fading, which any '76, beat up or not, would have, so the body at least is new. The Badass come stock on the Geddy which is why I assume thats what it is.

20. Just because it has a badass bridge doesn't mean it was a Geddy Lee. You can put a Badass on any MIM black jazz body & it'll look like a Geddy.
    One sure way to tell.......a Getty has that pickguard screw just above the neck pickup......this one does not.