1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: 1981 Inventions DRV

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IngloriousOz, Mar 1, 2019.

1. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    TL/DR: I confess... I have a sick fascination with pedals that have incredible amounts of hype with Guitar players (specifically on www.thegearpage.net) and always ask myself "I wonder what that sounds like on bass..." and inevitably I come over here, search for anything on the pedal and either find nothing at all or a curious soul like me that posted a thread with little to no response.

npd.JPG

Today is one of those days I'm glad I decided to bite the bullet and actually try one of those curiosities out - the 1981 DRV pedal made by Matthew Hoopes (of Relient K fame) and his wife. My little bit of knowledge about the pedal was that it was a glorified RAT with an added buffer/preamp stage but it kind of stopped there, turns out it's the best sounding RAT from the dozen or so I've tried.

On it's own it sounds fantastic, like a Turbo RAT and the Mantic Vitriol had a baby with a big(ger) bottom end. Dead silent but super touch responsive with a lot of headroom to breathe, the best qualities of a great RAT without the added compression, it's very articulate and sounds even better being driven by a clean boost. Chords and a muddy B note still come through clear and aggressively.

The biggest surprise for me is that it's the only dirt pedal to date I've been able to stack into the distortion side of my Alpha Omega Ultra without the AOU phase canceling it and making it sound like neutered garbage (I really, really, really need a better preamp with a cab sim - suggestions?)

Are they overpriced? Absolutely. Worth the extra $50 over market to give it a run? No question.

Try one if you can!

2. I’ve had some gas for one

IngloriousOz likes this.
  3. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I’m waiting for the bass version that Matt said would be coming months ago.

4. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Would love it, Ive had a few bass tuned rats but they havent done it for me even the ones that run at 18v

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm still trying to find the right distortion or fuzz pedal for me. Have wondered about this one. I also really want to try the Electrofoods version of a RAT, because I'm crazy about their Germ Warfare pedal...and I'd love to try the Broughton version of a RAT.

Would love to hear a clip!

IngloriousOz and jazznrick like this.
  6. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I put a rat clone in the Damnation Audio Bloop and I'm all good now. Exactly what the doctor ordered for a rat pedal and bass.

IngloriousOz likes this.
  7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sick! Been wanting one of these for a long while now.

IngloriousOz likes this.
  8. I messaged Matt today and he said he might add a bass version on the next run.

IngloriousOz, cataract and emjazz like this.
  9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    What is the bass version?

IngloriousOz likes this.
  10. All I know is... C66B2782-7BD2-4848-8545-B281B3277885.

11. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Very cool! The current version already rips on bass so this will be interesting for sure

cataract and jazznrick like this.
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Dear lord man!!! $400 on Reverb???? Yikes.

IngloriousOz likes this.
  13. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Haha they are only $250 new

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ha! That I cam stomach. :) Someone even has one up for $800!! HAHAHAHA

Evil_Druid and IngloriousOz like this.
  15. mostvaliant

mostvaliant

Apr 5, 2015
    You still liking this pedal? Thinking about getting one in the next batch.

16. CptRevell

CptRevell

Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    I picked one up tonight - one of the tri-color ones. I like the Rat tone on bass - now debating wether to pick up a Bloop or something to mix in clean low end. Maybe I'll test it out first. Been using a MBD-1 for my drive tones.

mostvaliant likes this.
  17. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    The blackout version is dead sexy and I’ve wanted one for a while now. I might bite the bullet soon if funds allow in the coming weeks, but a bass version? I may hold out...

18. mostvaliant

mostvaliant

Apr 5, 2015
    I wound up picking up one of the tricolored ones myself last night. I talked to him directly about the bass specific version in the beginning of April, and he said his issues he was running into with a bass version was the signal was has so much gain even at the low gain settings. He said he’s still working on how to do this without adding a knob to the pedal. He said he was in between working on this and a new graphic, and I believe the new graphic won with the tri-colored.

adamaarts likes this.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    That pedal looks really good, I think!
    Where are these made?

20. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    In Nashville