NPD: Ampeg Opto Comp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by -Shaun-, Jul 12, 2020.

1. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    After 16 years of playing, this is only my second pedal and my first foray into compression. The first pedal was an OC-2, bought last year.

I'd been looking for a simple compression pedal that didn't colour my sound too much, was easy to use, and was a nice "always-on" compressor for smoothing out my signal, both for my clean sound and for sending to the OC-2. After getting increasingly confused in the ocean of compression, I came across the Opto Comp online, just yesterday. I read a bunch of reviews and watched clips. It seemed like exactly what I was looking for. I did a quick search and found that there was one in my local music shop. I went around and tested it out this morning, and ended up bringing it home.

It does colour my tone ever so slightly, but in a good way. A little woolier, I guess. I don't want to call it 'vintage', but it's certainly warm. Like I said, I'm totally new to compression, so I'm not too sure how to explain this. It sounds sweet on its own, and before the OC-2. After playing for a while, it's easy to start thinking "Is this actually doing anything?". Turn it off... Oh yeah, it's working.

It's very easy to use compared to, say the Aguilar TLC, and at that price, how can anyone say no?

One happy customer here. I always look forward to Wednesday night rehearsal, but now I can't wait :hyper:
    20200712_184814.jpg

2. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Oh yeah, I also had to buy a daisy chain for my One Spot, so I could power this. That means 6 more spots of prime real estate, waiting to be filled. This could be dangerous :help:

3. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    I feel like this doesn't get enough love around here. I love this compressor as an always on slight compression tone enhancer.

Deep and -Shaun- like this.
  4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Congrats to the OP on the new pedal. I currently run an Ampeg Scrambler & Liquifier with the Scrambler always on for a subtle OD. Not finding as much use for the Liquifier though.

Can someone explain to a compressor newb what it does and how best to use it, the Opto comp in particular?

Thanks in advance.

-Shaun- likes this.
  5. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    I can't explain anything better than the two following links.

Onvilab compressor FAQs:
    Compressor and Audio Gear FAQ

Ampeg Opto Comp review:
    Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

-Shaun- and 2saddleslab like this.
  6. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    After deciding on a Keeley Bassist, I ended up with an Ampeg Opto Comp for budget reasons (I was buying multiple pedals, and my wife was already very generous with my budget- I wasn't going to ask for a cent more). I mostly wanted something that could keep things more consistent between finger/pick playing and to help tame overzealous effects. I like that it has the compression light so I can see when it's starting to kick on so I'm more aware of what "boosts" my signal. I run a VT DI, so the tone coloring is in a same ball park as the VT, so I don't notice it that much. But overall it does what I need it to and stays out of the way otherwise. I might end up with a Bassist someday since I like that it's transparent and is more of a limiter, but I'm satisfied for now. Anyway, all that to say nice choice!

-Shaun- likes this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    -Shaun- likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I abruptly gave up compression years ago, but kind of got the fever to try it again about a year and a half ago. Bought a couple, busted out a couple I already had, and one turned out decent but wasn't quite pleasing me so I dropped it. Then last Christmas, Dino sent me an Opto Comp, and I'm not saying this at all because I'm an Ampeg endorser...man, is it good! I can only use it set barely on, and anything more than that is way too much for me, but it's a really nice one at that low setting.

9. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    Just got back from rehearsal. I just left it on the whole time. I use a little more than you, Jimmy. Around 11:00. Much more than that feels like too much. It made some of my keyboard-inspired bass lines with the OC-2 just so much smoother and fatter. I can't picture a situation in which I wouldn't use it!

JimmyM and basstalkname like this.
  10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Had the ampeg opto.
    I like the boss lmb-3 better in a band or live.
    But I very rarely use a comp. But when it's called for ill use whatever works to make the band and song sound better.

Its not about you. Its about the song.

My 2 cents.

JimmyM likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    LMB-3 was the other comp I liked, BTW.

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  12. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Definitely a gig worthy tank.
    I think people overlook it since its a boss.

I had the empress, diamond, ampeg and others.
    Only the boss is left standing

My 2 cents.

JimmyM likes this.
  13. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    To the OP:
    Might want to also try bass to OC2 to compressor to amp

14. -Shaun-

-Shaun-

Feb 10, 2018
    New Zealand
    100%

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  15. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    :)

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021