NPD: Free The Tone PA-1QB Programmable EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markmck79, Jan 24, 2018.

1. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I've had this in for a little while, but was asked to keep quiet until after the official release date.

A great EQ pedal; all-analog signal chain, digitally controlled with 99 presets (first 4 available by foot switch). The EQ points were specifically chosen for bass and they do work well. It is absolutely quiet and also works as a nice boost, as well.

Here it is on my fly-rig board:

IMG_0979.jpg

2. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I have been looking at this. One question: how well does it preserve frequencies above the top band? Eg, does it go to 20khz... and what happens to those frequencies when you change the top band? Is it a shelf which reaches all the way up there (like an 'air' band)?

Driven Crane and Kevan Campbell like this.
  3. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm curious about this too, @markmck79. Did you keep this pedal? How do you think it would do with a 5-string bass (strung with a low B)?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    That looked really cool to me till I saw the price :D But it does seem like a very well thought-out pedal.

5. markmck79

markmck79

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I'm still using the board I posted above and am still very happy with the whole setup. This is the longest I've gone in at least the last 15 years without replacing a pedal or doing a complete teardown of my board. With everything shown above I can cover 98%+ of my gigs and I can always just put an OC-2 and/or envelope filter in front or a chorus after and I can cover 100% of what I've been asked to play in the last 30 years. After the board I typically use a Radial JDI (80%) and/or a Mesa Walkabout Scout 15 + 15 Extension (20% + practice).

I don't play with a 5 string much anymore, but I do have a Hipshot DTuner on my #1 (4-string PJ) and have had no issues with the FTT EQ. It is a great tone-sculpting device. Between that and the Bass Blaster I can easily go from old school P-Bass Motown thump to active Sadowsky preamp with a J and nearly everything in-between, including overdrive and light distortion/fuzz.

I have previously used Boss & MXR pedal EQs, the Tech 21 Q-Strip and the Source Audio EQ and landed on the FTT pedal. Yes, it is expensive. But, it is very well made and a lot of thought went into deciding on the fixed EQ points and it is very easy to dial in.

TheLopp and DirtyDuke like this.