1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NRD (New Rig Day)SVT content no pics yet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Just aquired a 1971 Blueline SVT and 1970 Straight Back SVT 810 Cab. This rig sounds way more (solid) Deep,There than My 1974 SVT and 1978 810E for some reason.
    The Head has at least one microphonic Pre Tube that I have not been able to locate just yet.
    Also No pics yet because I can't figure out how to get my camera to go into lower resolution. but I will post pics as soon as I can. The Cab has the original Dolly with it.

I know no pics no new rig. will get pics up as soon as I can

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    First place I'd look for a microphonic tube is the 6C4. They are pretty much all microphonic, and when I replace them, I buy 4 and go with the least microphonic.

Also, it's not so much the head giving you that solidness as the cab IMHO. The 78 cabs came with Eminence ceramic magnet speakers, and the flatbacks came with CTS Alnicos. I and others totally believe there is a positive difference with the CTS's.

But congratulations on a great buy!

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Thamks for the info Jimmy. The straight back is deeper and a bit taller also so a little more cab volume than the 78. But you are probably right about the CTS speakers being the overall reason why they sound so good. May see what I can find to replace the ones in my 78 cab if I get around to it. I will get several 6C4's and see what shakes out.
    Was also wondering if there was any Benefit to be gained from using one of theose auralex amp vibration pad things with tubes heads to help isolate them from some of the vibrations from the cab

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No reason for the Auralex pad...the tubes are shockmounted in the head and the cab is braced very will so vibration will be at a minimum already.

And if you ever get bored enough to do all the screw turning required, you could always just swap out speakers and see what happens.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You could also try a cinch on the 6C4, beans-on-toast recommended them in another thread and I've been using one on mine for a while with good results. As far as the cabs, it's definitely the speakers in the flatback, those CTS are magic. They don't handle much power but they're a great sounding speaker. If I wasn't pushing my 8x10 as much as I have been lately I'd still be running mine, but I don't want to blow them so I've got B810s in my 8x10 now. Anyways, congrats on the amp!

6. Seans

Seans

Jul 4, 2008
    Herefordshire, UK
    Looking forward to pic's (can you take High res and then make them smaller on your computer).

Try cleaning the pre's first, use the small pointed tooth pic/brush to clean the bases and then if you're feeling lucky clean the valve pins with a brass suede brush or a fiberglass pen if they're bad. You may be surprised when you don't need to replace them after all.

7. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Yeah, as loud as we play I'd kill the CTS pretty quickly, I'd expect, but I'd be interested to hear how they compare tonally to the B810's.

Thanks,

-JV

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

Chris did a great job in this thread trying to match the sound of the CTS with all his testing/comparisons/etc. As far as the B810s, they're close, but definitely more modern. They can match the bottom end fairly well with a little extension and less farting out, but the CTS had this really nice smooth breakup character in the high end that the B810 doesn't quite match. I'd say a set of six of the B810s and a driver with better top end like the Jensen mods as your top pair might put you in the right range.