1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NS Design bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Hendricks97, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    Im picking up an NXTa 5 string this weekend and need to find a decent bow. I havent played upright since college and I just used whatever bows the school had. The NS design bow makes sense since it was designed with that bass in mind, but I cant seem to find any reviews on it. Has anyone here tried it?

2. I haven't tried that bow, but it looks like a pretty straight-forward carbon fiber bow. In that price range ($200-300), carbon fiber is usually the best available option.

With EUB, I haven't noticed a big need for a high quality bow. A lot of the fancier classical strokes don't work quite so well. The strings are usually set very low, and have a thin gauge, so a heavy orchestral-style bow would be kind of pointless.

One thing that will make a difference is the quality of hair. If you have fresh, professional-grade hair, you will hear a massive improvement in sound. These cheaper carbon bows are normally sold with low quality hair straight from the factory. Even if you buy a $90 bow, it's worth it to immediately have a $60 rehair. Depending on how much you use the bow, you'll want to replace the hair every 6 to 12 months.

Hendricks97 likes this.
  3. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If you're buying the NS with the stock NS strings on it, you'll want to replace those immediately because they're essentially super long round wound bass guitar strings, and they'll eat up any hair you pull across them.

4. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    It has the traditional strings on it, so they are flatwound