Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NS Design truss rod rattle

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Steve Clark, May 5, 2005.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have an annoying problem with my NS EUB. From time to time there is a rattle when I play. I thought at first it might be the stand rattling and transmitting through the bass. However I think it may be the truss rod. I don't think the rod is broken because it still has tension when you loosen or tighten it. Anyone else experience this rattle? It would be good news if you do. Then I won't worry about it. :crying:

Steve

2. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi...

I have rattle in my NS too, in the stand to be more correct.

I just fitted the buttom of the top-pole (the piece that fits on to the bass and goes down inside the "master" stand) with some tape and now it's gone. :smug:

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    With the help of David at NS Designs the problem is now solved and solved quickly. Thanks David.

I bought the bass used. It seems the previous owner had loosened the truss completely (turning anti clockwise) The tension I was feeling was when I continued to turn this direction and the rod end bottomed out against the wood of the head of the bass. I started to turn clockwise and the rod was very loose which made me think the rod was broken. But tension picked up and relief came out of the neck. All it was was an EXTREMELY loose rod. HUGE relief. Literally as well since the previous owner had as much relief as possible. Perhaps he just loosened it off for shipping. Now I'm looking forward to the jam tonight and don't have to worry about the bass anymore.

I will keep an ear out for the stand rattling but the bass sounds much more solid now.