numbers after the notes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ahhelpme, Aug 13, 2005.

1. ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    What do the numbers after a note mean?

( ie. A7)

Also I can slap well but ive heard someone mention something about double thumping recently can someone tell me what it is and how to do it?
  2. A7 means u play an A chord with an added 7th note of that scale. so for an A7 you would play A C# E G#, i'm not sure exactly when you use a dropped 7th or what, but the nmbers mean add that scale step

Double thumbing is when u kinda rub your thumb down through a string and land on the next string, then bounce off the string you landed on and upstroke the string. So it 'd be like down on A bounce off D and Back through A resulting in two really fast As. Its using your thumb as a pick more or less
  3. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Actually, you would use the dropped 7 in an A7 chord. Here are some chord extensions:

A7 = A C# E G
    Amaj7 = A C# E G# (maj7 = major seventh)
    A9 = A C# E G B
    Amaj9 = A C# E G# B (it's the maj7 chord with a 9 added)

4. That's not entirely accurate. The chord "A7" is NOT a chord consisting of A C# E and G#, but of A C# E and G natural. This is because it is assumed that you flat the 7th in a seventh chord. In order to make the chord have a G#, you would have to call it "Amaj7" or "AMAJ7" or "A <triangle shape>7." And if you see a chord that says "A #9th (add b5)" then it is telling you to assume the A major scale, but put in a #9th (#2nd voiced down) and when you feel like it, a b5 ALONG with a regular 5th. Let me make this clear, if the chord names off any scalar interval besides the 7th--*edit* Any chord that has a number after it without the "th" or "nd" or "rd" assumes a flated 7th *edit*--(which is assumed to be flated unless otherwise specified), then that interval is part of the chord. But if the chord says something like "add b9," then it is asking that you do not flat the 9th (2nd voiced down), but that you play either the normal 9th or the b9th.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, don't be afraid to ask.
  5. Here are some examples:

Amaj9 = A C# E G# B

A7 add b5 = A C# Eb E G

A11 add #4th/#9th = A C D# E G B# D

A13* = A C# E G B D F#

*In 13 chords, there is kind of a hidden rule. Since the 13th chord represents all notes in the scale, it is quite common that some voicings will be left out, and not entirely out of dexterousity (word?), but as a musical choice.

Asus4 = A C# D E

Asus2 = A B C# (D if you want) E

This might be a good place to start.
  6. thanks for the clearer explanations guys, Like I said, i wasn't totally sure if A7 meant the flatted sevent (dominant 7) or like the A scale
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

So far your question has received only a partial answer...that is you have been given a thorough examination of an A7 chord, but you have probably observed other numbers after letters and probably still do not undertsand what they mean. You may have even seen what appears to be a fraction after a note and may find that even more confusing.

First, let me explain that the number is not really after a note. That number with a letter indicates the type of chord. The letter is the note that serves as the root of the chord.

You need to learn more about types of chords (major, minor, dominant, augmented, diminished) and how they are formed: ie, the intervals within a chord.

Check this web site, but there are many others, that can explain what you need to know about chord types and how they are indicated on sheet music or a chord chart.
  8. mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    It means you play A.
  9. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    There's a bit more to it than that...
  10. ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    oh k I understand now, thanks for all the help guys!
  11. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    yes there is. But that made me laugh... :D
  12. inverted chords are cool too. you play the chord with the same notes as a regular chord, only the lowest note is something other than the root note.