1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Numbness in my fingers!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Linkert, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Ive been playing bass for 2 years now intensively. And i have never had any problems with my fingers.
    But just 5 min ago i noticed some numbness in my left thumb, index and middle finger and all the right hand fingers!
    I do have a cold, but could that make your most used fingers numb?

2. See a doctor if it concerns you. Listen to your body.

Don't rely on Talkbass users for medical advice.

Sorry I'm not being more helpful, but it's the only sensible course of action. It could be many things. It may be nothing, or it may be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

We can't diagnose it from here.

:)

3. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    So that is probably it. But as Luke said visit a doctor if it concerns you or if it gets worse

4. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    hahahahahahahaha!

i seriously doubt it has anything to do with bass playing, most likely you'll be fine, your heart is probably stopped or something.

5. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Definitely see a doctor if it's worrying you. I had similar problems (still do sometimes) and my doc told me to use those gel keyboard and mouse rests on my computer at work, and take a B vitamin supplement. I actually found that if I keep a steady regimen on my bass then my hands hurt less, if only time allowed :)

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    You're dying. Usually early signs of death include a numbness in the extremities. You won't be feeling any pain by tomorrow

7. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 If it last for more than a few minutes then something isn't right. In the mean time think about what you were doing before it happened. Wrist at a different angle other change in your playing position. Feel any twitch or something. Pushing down harder on forearm or anything that might of reduce blood flow. Listen to your body and thing about what you were doing to see if there is a clue to why this happened now.

8. If it continues to bother you, see a doctor.
    I had numbness in my finger tips after playing guitar or bass, along with pain in both hands...doctor told me I had carpal tunnel syndrome...
    turned out I had plugged arteries-had 2 heart attacks, quadruple bypass.

No more numbness in fingers, playing bass again after years of not.

Make that-see a GOOD doctor.

mark

9. southpaw76

southpaw76

Feb 20, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    This sort of thing used to happen to me when ever I wouldn't warm up properly. I noticed that it mainly happened to my index and middle finger of my picking hand due to poor circulation. :(

Now of course, this is not a diagnosis but it is definitely something to look into. Anyway, I was able to solve my problem by doing a number of different stretching exercises, hope this helps :ninja:...

10. I totally agree that you shouldn't rely on talkbass for an answer, but I believe this might be an early sign of carpal tunnel. I have carpal tunnel, and I had a similar problem. If you aren't careful, it can worsen very quickly, but there are ways to combat it. First of all, make sure and warm up slowly. Stretch your hands and wrist very well before doing any extensive techniques, and that should help. But absolutely go to the doctor, they will know a lot more about what to do than I will. BTW, if you slap and pop a lot, be especially careful, because that technique is very tough on the wrist, and can make your situation worse much quicker than anything else.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021