Nut Question; converting from thick Velvet into thin Obligato..

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Louis90403, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Louis90403

Jul 26, 2002

I am planning to change strings from Velvet Anima to the regular steel strings. The question is if I should make another nut? Mine is with a false nut, and the groove is a bit widened before.
    Of course, the best thing I know is to show my bass to the luthier, but any comments on this? What about the bridge???

Louis90403 :) //
  2. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    On Monday night I saw a nice nut setup that accomodates both kinds of string.

This was an ebony nut and the guy that traded this bass in had gut strings on it. Good gut strings.

After he made the trade (this past Saturday) he took off the gut strings and put them immediately on the new (new to him) bass which was American Standard #167.

The one he traded in was also an American Standard in the #600's. When I saw the #600's bass Monday night it had Dominant strings on it. The setup allowed the Dominants to sit a bit deeper in the nut and the slots were wider as they neared the surface of the nut, to accomodate the guts that the previous owner had on it when the trade was made.

I had neve seen a nut such as this before. When I had a neck set on my American Standard #731 this past spring, I had the luthier to save the old nut for me. I was switching from Helicores to Garbos. So, if I decide to switch back to steel strings, I can just switch nuts.

The combo nut on the bass in this shop was unique, at least to me. Any others out there seen combo nuts such as this?