1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NVRD (New Video Recorder Day) and MBOL

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Sep 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

Just got a new Zoom Q4 video recorder. It has a stereo onboard mic and two XLR inputs for external mics - also supplies phantom power if you need it.

I didn't even read the manual first (of course! A friend of mine once said if you gave a programmer a manual he'd probably eat it) just brought it out and hooked it up. Ran a mic from the piano and a DI from my GB head. Also running the onboard mics pretty close to both the piano and the bass. This thing has a 160 degree view so I was able to put it almost on top of us.

Recorded a couple tunes and I'm totally stoked with how good my bass sounds. You are hearing a mixture of 1. Acoustic Bass, 2. DI from the Amp, and 3. Internal mic picking up my AI Contra head - and not necessarily in that order.

Here is a little clip of 'It Never Entered My Mind' which unfortunately got cut off and switched to another file (I guess I'll have to read the manual) but this will give you an idea of the sound and also the picture from this great little video camera.

By the way, Court (the pianist) and I had NEVER played this tune. I just heard it recently and it stuck in my head. When I requested it he was willing to give it a try.

Tom Lane likes this.
  2. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

It says video unavailable

3. rickwolff

Hi Earl,

Not sure why, it works on mine. Try it again I may have had it tied up with an edit.

Or try this link:

Earl likes this.
  4. rickwolff

OOPS, I think I just figured it out - I had set it at private until I was done editing. I'll change it now. Sorry.

And DONE. Try it now. Thanks.

Earl likes this.