Nylon Hair Bows?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Kat_Mia, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Anyone got one? Used one? What are they like? Any different to horse-hair bows? :confused:
  2. Nylon hair is virtually useless.
    If you can only afford an inexpensive bow, and that's all of us at one time or another, have it rehaired with horse hair. Big difference.
  3. Nor did I. I consider his bow hair "virtually useless."
    As for his arco, he's no Homer Mensch, or John Feeney, or Lou Paer, or Larry Glazener, or Leigh Mesch, or etc.
  4. Well, John Feeney hasn't been on 2,500 recordings. Nor have the others. I guess that settles it.
  5. I am not a Moderator. Paul never removed that when I gave it up.
    Whether or not I am/was a moderator has nothing to do with it, so feel free.
    I am impressed by your ability to misrepresent my meanings in your posts.

A young new player started this thread to find out about nylon bow hair. I believe my answer to her was accurate and in her own best interests. If you believe she should spend her money on nylon bow hair, say so.
  6. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Christ, why does every thread I post end up as an aurgment?

One of my reletives, who isn't familair with bows and things, helped me out and sent me a bow down from London as I only had a really rubbish one. It has nylon hair and I just wanted to know what people's veiws were about them, not an arugment about what peopel think about other people on this board. I just wanted to know about whether you would recommend them or knew anyone who played with one and had ideas/thoughts about it, not an argument about what famous people use and what they don't use.

So I have one oof these bows. The only reason I haven't tried it is because we're in the middle of a loft conversion, every room is being built in or worked in and I don't want to get my bass out because you never know what could happen so I havent' tried it yet.

Guys, I just wanted some general views or ideas, not a waking great argument between two members who have different veiws. You're grown ups right? Well, maybe you could give grown up advice to someone a little younger than you or is that impossible?

I will stay on this board as sometimes I do need advice but I don't want arguements on every thread I post thanks. I'm almost dissapointed.
  7. I tried to help you with my first post. Don't make me regret it. If you need detail, just ask.
  8. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK

Yes, I am going to try it on a bass at school and then decide whether to re-hair it or not. Thank you.
  9. The rosin you use will have significant impact on bow performance. The Swedish rosins, Nyman and Carlson; Kolstein's, and Pops are all generally good. Petz, on the other hand, will give you a misleading experience (i.e., bad).
  10. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Oh dear! I've only got Petz, that's the only one they had in stock so I had to get it as I was doing a musical that night.I really wanted Nymans because I love that stuff. Mmm, I don't thinkI'll put any on it and grab some Nymans asap. Ooo, actually, it says I can wash the nylon when I like and then comb it though when it's dried. But using Petz won't tell me if the bows any good will it? Grrrr. Dorset is so not hot on basses, it sucks! :bawl:
  11. Boomfala

Jun 23, 2004
    Kat, I would definately recommend Pops rosin. Some people don't like how "tacky" it is. But i find it works very nicely for me. Also, I find a little bit goes a long way.
    Best of Luck!
    Keep us up to date on the synthetic hair. I've been thinking about changing over to it on my next rehair.
  12. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I found I really like it. Al so found it has a much ruffer texture.... :confused:
  13. I hate to bug you with more of this, but have you compared the nylon yet to a friend's horse hair bow? Just wondering. When I got my bow, I didn't know there was a bow with nylon for hair.

I sort of think that horses might like the nylon better. Has anyone ever tried human hair? I know there's a very old song (two sisters), but has anyone tried human hair for bow hair lately? ;)
  14. That would have to be a pretty short bow.
  15. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC

Ah, excellent traditional music reference! The Wind and the Rain is a great tune...

My sincerest apologies for getting off topic :ninja:

16. Lemur number, uhm, person:

You shouldn't make assumptions about hair length like that. I've got 15 inches below the shoulder and I've seen much longer "pony tails" on people. I could get you good Psaltery bow hanks every 4 or 5 years, but I donate it to charity when I do cut it. It goes to tail-less ponies.... Now that's a pony tale.

And he strung his fiddle bow with her long yellow hair
    Oh the wind and the rain
    He strung his fiddle bow with her long yellow hair
    Cried oh the dreadful wind and rain

And he made a little fiddle of her breast bone
    Oh the wind and the rain
    He made a little fiddle of her breast bone
    Cried oh the dreadful wind and rain

But the only tune that the fiddle would play was
    Oh the wind and the rain
    The only tune that the fiddle would play was
    Oh the dreadful wind and rain

17. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I've since brought a new bass and with it came a horse hair bow. I play with both now. I don't really have a prefrence.
  18. And your mare sighs with relief....

So go over to the "basses" threads and tell us more about your new aquisition and how you like it so far. I always like to hear what others are playing. :)
  19. Bowmaker

Nov 26, 2011
    I'm sorry Kat_Mia hasn't found me, a bow maker in Dorset since 1980.
    The first synthetic bow hair, DuPont's 'Synhair', was excellent for violin and viola in my own experience - the viola being 'my' instrument - and the leader of the Midland Radio Orchestra in the late 1970's had his 'first choice' violin bow haired with synhair and it lasted seven years, he only had it rehaired (again with synthetic) because he thought he ought to. Synhair became unobtainable in the mid-1980's.
    There is no reason why a synthetic hair should not be completely successful. Only player ignorance/bias will ensure it fails. While 'perfect' horsehair is still available I guess the synthetic will not reappear, although there was a very 'blue' nylon hair coming from the folk playing scene a few years back; very stretchy, so obviously no good for bass bows. Currently the most popular request from my workshop for bass bows is 'Salt and Pepper' hair (a mix of thick white, chestnut and a few black hairs) and Nymans rosin.

Andrew Bellis, Bournemouth U.K.