1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NYXL vs. Fat Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scubaduba, Feb 24, 2018.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've been a die hard stainless guy for years. Recently, I've been dabbling with nickel strings a bit more having strung basses with Dunlop Super Bright Nickels, Pure Blues, Pedulla Nickel, and recently acquiring another Sire which come with D'Addario XL's. I really like the Pure Blues and the Super Brights are OK. My stainless of choice has been Fat Beams (or Hi Beams) but I strung a bass with Fat Beams last night... and well... didn't have the same feeling I normally get. Maybe my tastes are in fact changing a bit.

So I'm wondering about the D'Addario NYXL's. Seems people love them or hate them. Anybody compare them to DR Fat Beams or Hi Beams in terms of feel and tone?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    not so much on hatred I think... at least not on their feel and tone. Major issue is that they are priced too much for the kind of strings that sound just the same as their cheaper XL Nickels, with looser feel (or lower tension or whatever you would call it) due to the usage of smaller hex core.

scubaduba likes this.
  3. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Anybody else?

4. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I like stainless strings. My fave tone were the Dean Markley Helix, but they have been discontinued. Nowadays for stainless tone, I go to Dunlop Super Brights stainless or DR Low-Rider stainless. Neither is as big and punchy as the Helix were, but they do have the interesting midrange and upper mid presence I expect from stainless.

Pure Blues have some of the bigness and punchyness I was used to with the Helix strings. But the overall tone isn't the same. Which is to be expected, because Pure Blues aren't a stainless string. But Pure Blues are my overall fave string right now for any bass which doesn't need stainless. I still put only stainless on my Fender Jaguar with Lollar Thunderbird pickups. Right now it was DR Low-Rider stainless on it.

I wouldn't bother with the Marcus Miller Super Brights, as they lack everything which makes the Stainless Super Brights great. Similarly, I never liked Fat Beams, his old string.

You could also try Fodera's Stainless strings. They do not look or sound like typical stainless. They have more of a nickel sound. But they aren't as punchy as some other strings. However, they setup extremely well, have a balanced feel, and the way they vibrate is somehow more controlled.

However, I like Pure Blues so much for many reasons. So I have a hard time recommending anything else, unless someone really wants stainless.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Pbassmanca and scubaduba like this.
  5. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm a big fan of the NYXL's. I've had 2 sets on my Moollon J5 and they've both been great. I had been using regular XLs for a few years and I like the NYXL's better. Tension is a bit looser and they have more of what I like about stainless steel strings (much broader range of tone IME) without being stainless. Before I used XLs I was more of DR Sunbeam guy but found they were just a bit too loose for me. I've since come around to DR Pure Blues and use those on a couple of basses. I recently put a set of Fat Beams on a 74 Jazz cause that seemed like the perfect string for that bass and so far it has been. They feel, not surprisingly, like a stainless steel Sun Beam.

So to your question, if you like the Pure Blues and Fat Beams, I think you'll like the XLNYs. They just feel really nice and at least when new have a much broader tonal range (ie. many more options available when you adjust volume and tone controls). And like everyone else, just wish they were cheaper. FWIW, not a fan at all on any Dunlop strings I've tried.

6. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I love the NYXL strings. They seem to last much longer than any other strings i have tried. They resonate well with tons of harmonics and undertones, almost piano like.
    I also like DR Lo-rider's, I do prefer the lower tension on the NYXLs. I have never tried the Fatbeams, but they are on the list. The Hi beams always seemed too zingy to me and the finger sliding noises drive me crazy, by the time i turn the treble down to compensate I have lost all the tone in them.
    Try each one, some sound better on different basses. Right now I'm hooked on the NYXLs.

eriky4003 likes this.
  7. jnslprd,
    Although I wouldn't want to persuade you not to try the Fat Beams (which I love), if you didn't enjoy the Hi-Beams you may not appreciate the Fats which retain Hi-Beam like zingyness. Similar in feel and, as I understand it, the Fats are the same string only wound slower at manufacturing so you get more bass and mids to the string but will likely keep your finger sliding noises. BTW, I'm also a fan of the Lo-riders.

armybass likes this.
  8. jnslprd

jnslprd

Jun 26, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I am waiting on a new bass this week and the Pure clues have caught my eye, so not sure which way I want to go yet. I'm still loving the NYXLs though, just not sure how the will sound on a jazz bass.

eriky4003 likes this.
  9. Jnslprd,
    There's a few threads on Pure Blues on this site and from what I've read will likely be like Lo-Riders but a bit mellower on the highs.
    Sorry for the derail, folks.

10. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Just put a set of the NYXL'S on my Sire P7 replacing regular XL'S and I'm underwhelmed. Fat Beams and Pure Blues feel better and sound better. These NYXL'S just seem neutral and flat which maybe a good thing for some. Too polite for my taste.

eriky4003 likes this.
  11. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    The top two strings I have tried recently are Kalium Hybrids and DAddario NYXLs (both with tapered Low B's).

IMO DR Strings are really good if you play 4 string, but their B string are seriously lacking, and can't even come close to NYXL or Kalium.
    I rely heavily on my B string and always try it first out of the pack, and if its not sounding perfect then the strings are pretty much useless to me, and that sums up DR (and many other brands) for me unfortunately.

PawleeP likes this.
  12. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    So interesting how different our perceptions can be. I'm going to give these NYXLs more time and see how they break in. For now they aren't wowing me.

13. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Can you please tell me what exact set you got?

The reason I am asking is because my very first NYXL set I tried had a 80-100 (and maybe because of the thinner core) I thought they were absolutely terrible and thin sounding. So to be sure I tried a heavier set with the 85-105 and then I realized how good these strings are. Also with the 5 string set that goes 80-100-130, the 130 untapered did not sound very good at all to my ears. It wasn't until I got the tapered 130 that I became happy with the B string.

14. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    45-130 set. The B string is not great. It's untapered.

15. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007

I recommend that you try a 45-105 four string set along with a 130 tapered B single before making your final decision about these strings!

16. Britbonic

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Interesting. I currently have all those strings on a few different basses and like em all for different reasons. NYXls are on a J5. To me they have elements of all of the other 4. Polite wouldn’t be the way I’d describe them - maybe a little more refined? They’re my favorite of that group if I had to pick and use them on more basses were it not for the price. Give them some time to break in a bit.

17. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Guess I could buy a single tapered B from the talkbass store.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  18. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The .130 b string is terrible. Flabby and not taught. Surprisingly loose feeling.

19. Britbonic

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    FWIW I use the set with.125 and really like it.

20. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Here's a clip of NYXLs

rj1972 and Pbassmanca like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021